1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CNY Syracuse area

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CNY Plow, Sep 13, 2007.

1. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

Looking to see who is regestered in the Syracuse, NY and surrounding area.
    I only found this site by accident yesterday (9/12/2007).
    Most plow guys don't like to talk business but this fourm is quite open.

2. dzrick

dzrick Senior Member

I'm in the Cazenovia area but I'm not really a plow guy, just a guy hopeing to have my plow on my truck before the snow flys.:drinkup:

3. shanta74

shanta74 Member

same here live in morrisville ny i also am not a plow guy just got my truck and am going to do my driveway and some freinds and families and see how it goes from there

4. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

That's how it starts - friends and family, and th e next thing you know you're in BUSINESS.

5. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

In Oneida

I'm In Oneida a I do plow Commercially I talk shop with you our area don't overlap with the price of fuel and every thing.

Big Earl

6. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I'm from near Binghamton. I plow a little bit here and there.

7. EPS

EPS Member

Just north of syracuse here 1st year plowing. What is best way to get name out there?

8. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I would just say to get a couple driveways, then let people spread word that you do a good job. I know a couple people who did that, and now they don't have enough time for all the people.

9. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

New here too - just joined the other day. I'm in the Onondaga Hill (Syracuse west suburb)area. Also a member of "DieselPlace.com". I just bought a gently used "SnoWay" 8' DP w/wireless remote. Looking to do family and neighbors ($). Let me ask some of you - what is the going rate to do a driveway, say 2 cars wide by 50' long ?

Thx,
    Scott:)

10. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

We're practcally neighbors.
    I start at $45, but there are many variables (family & neighbors - that's a tough one).
    Plowing on the hill is tough - lot of wait time for traffic.

11. EPS

EPS Member

per push price

So my 9.95 a push is way to low! I was going based upon others I've seen priced at that.
    I was thinking of like 25 first push, 15 for second and 10 for a third max of 3 pushes in 24 hour period. Does that sound reasonable?

12. EPS

EPS Member

keeping lawns in tack

What should one do to avoid lawns getting torn up on the first plowable snow of season when there is no base on lawn yet?

13. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

I get $18.00 everytime I plow 4" but thats me .

14. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

overhead & profit

You can expect at least $2,600 min overhead - that's just gas (20 fills) and 5 months of your vehicle insurance [gen. liability not included].

at $10 (including returns) you'd be lucky to average $62 per day (after overhead deduction) - then you have taxes, soc.sec., disibility, retirement.

The question is, are you doing this for fun or business?

LAWN DAMAGE
    Some is unavoidable.
    Where you put snow is site dependent (not every site is the same)
    EXPERIENCE -there's only one way to get it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  15. EPS

EPS Member

Overhead & Profit

Yea I'm trying to make this a business definately not for fun. Who would want to get up at 2 in the am and go out in blowing cold snow for fun?lol So do you think my $25 price is about right?

16. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Plowing for $$$ - no fun here, but I too don't plan on getting up at 2am, etc... Family first - free, neighbors & friends $$$ payup - $30.00 first, $20.00 second, after that ??? (depends)

I plan on asking the homeowners where they would like the pile(s). I'll start a "log book" with sketches of the property and placement of snowpile.

Do any of you use "ballast" wesport in the back of the truck?

Thx,
    Scott :)

17. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

Not too much residential plowing going on at 2AM. I start at 4:30 am after 3 inches and stop at 8:00 pm - anything in between is special call rate.

BALLAST - there is always the minimum required by the plow mfr. - then there's traction ballast. My min is 150 and I put another 250 at the least.

Always ask where the owner prefers the piles, but let your experience make the final decission - the more area, the better.
    Some people make thier property look so pretty, but leave no place to put snow and it's against NYS Law to push accross streets; so unless your willing to take the chance on tickets tell them they need snowblowing not plowing.

I include a liability release - not liable for damage due to the movement or placement of snow. This dose not release me form impact damages - sliding into the garage or car, etc.
    There's always going to be some lawn damage - I tell them this is a seperate issue and I will give a damage repair estimate in the spring. It's not free.

18. EPS

EPS Member

19. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

No one can answer how long does it take - except for their own circumstance.
    How much travel time, the time for each push, etc, and so on.
    Ideally, If they're all within a few minutes of one another and average 7 minutes per push you can do 25-26 every 4 hours.
    You should make you time determinations for the average seasonal snow conditions (you know how many times we wake up to 6 or 8 inches around here).
    EVERY ONE WANTS TO BE PLOWED FIRST. - That's impossible.
    Some will want to be cleared every 3 or 4 inches; some will want to be cleared after the storm.

20. syrbaseball

syrbaseball Junior Member

1st Time Plower...where Do I Get A Plow Installed Cny?

WHERE CAN I GET A PLOW INSTALLED IN CNY. i NEED THE PLOW AS WELL.
    F250