1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cmp Cam Position Senser?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by elite1msmith, Jun 13, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ok so i had not driven my gas truck in a few weeks, we ran it last week , and for the first hr it would die at idle...problem went away...i figured some water got in the cap maybe and shorts the spark at idle...but it went away the rest of the day

i drive it this week,.same problem. but then back fires, and feels like im gonna lose the whole motor...like the timing is off...barley did 20 mph...shut it off..let it cool ran just fine home, check engine light and a scanner said that the CMP maybe bad or the timing chain is stretched out

is this a common sensor to go out? my engine does have 100k and has been making a strange knocking sound for the last 10k.....sounds like a calasped lifter

2. elite1msmith

from chicago

anybody? help? xysport

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

wat kind of truck

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

Oh, completetly Sorry i guess it helps if u know:eek:

2001, Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 Gas , reg cab/ long bed with about 100k on it

Iv been getting differet codes, mainly general mis fire codes, and one that says the cam senor....i read on some other forums, a few guys had the same problem, even after changing that CMP, and the crank senor...and the coil, and the end up with the same problem, so i dont want to be throwing parts a it...thanks for the help guys

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

i replaced the cam sensor, and it didnt help

i am completely out of ideas, i dont think there is a senor that would let the truck run good while cold for 20 mins, then slowly progressivly back fire and bog all cyclinders

pcm?