1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CMA

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by iowastorm, Sep 18, 2000.

1. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Has anyone ever used CMA (calcium magnesium acetate) from a company called cryotech (www.cryotech.com) and if so, how did it perform? Also, has anyone compared it to Magic Salt?

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

CMA sounds like Gods gift to ice control, but hang onto your shorts when you price it! I looked into it for sidewalk work, but when they started with the numbers I got all faint and clammy. I think it was something like $1.50 a lb in bags.

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I know this is kinda off the topic. Only i have had great results with pre wetting sand and salt with Mag Cloride. Mags cost is fairly reasonable, and easy to use with a pre wet system. However if ya don't have a pre wet, your going to have to Invest so cash. I plan on useing mag cloride pre on pure salt, just to see what i get for results.

Geoff

4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Alan is right. Good product but pricey. Magic0 is much more reasonable from a cost standpoint. Cryotech is good people who know what they are talking about, however they are a 'specialty' type manufacturer and they do alot with airports. NAAC is a product specifically designed for airport taxiway and plane parking areas.
    JAA

5. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Thanks for the info, guys. I thought that CMA was pretty expensive but haven't received the price quote yet. Just want to investigate all of the products out there as there is so much to learn. Sounds to me like as these products become more affordable, we will be able to do less plowing and focus more on de/anti icing. I know many clients would love to have less sand in their parking lots and not have it tracked into their buildings. Has anybody out there been using spray products to cut down on their plow time and if so, how's did it work?

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The contract I am working on currently uses 1000 tons of CMA a season, at a cost of $ 1,000,000.00 per season. They liked the product from an eviromental standpoint. We are working ona magic coated salt sale that would save them big time money.
    They have complained that the product just doesnt work at the applied rates, they need to use so much, that even tho there are no chlorides, it burns the vegatation.
    The only time CMA is a viable solution is on reinforced concrete.
    Dino

7. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

I was quoted a price on cma at $1200.00 per ton if you have the money its great stuff,too pricey for me.Oh and Dinos number is correct that is 1 million dollars in cma,just in case u thoght he slipped with the zero button

8. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

WOW! At 1200.00/ton; that's $1.66/lb.! I guess that's why the airports and local/state governments use the stuff (and pay for it w/ our tax money). Doesn't look like we'll be using the stuff anytime soon. Did one of you guys mention in a previous threat that salt treated w/ Magic is brown and can be a problem with people tracking it into buildings?

9. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

NY Snow Pros would know best, but it's my understanding that this product (Magic0 treated salt) will not harm carpets or tile. At least, it better not - as I specified it on a large job in NY and I'll be in the soup if it does any damage......

10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I believe that comment was directed at a straight liquid application. In the treated salt, tracking is pretty much a non issue. And certainly less then white pastey globs of cal chloride that people track in.
    At the condo site last year, we had no complaints about tracking, and if they find something to complain about, they will.
    Dino