1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clyinder angling problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by zzzman, Nov 17, 2009.

1. zzzman

zzzman Member

ok i have a western plow and a meyer pump. pump is a rebuilt from stork's and the cylinders are brand new. i hooked everything up and started angling the plow back and forth. took a while but it finally angled to the right very slow. but will not angle to the left or back straight. not sure if the cylinders have air in them and needs to be bleed or does it sound like a valve problem. i know the cylinders took fluid because it drained my pump enough were it won't lift the blade all the way. second question. i filled it back up to spec. but the original meyer fluid was yellow and this meyer fluid is called artic blue replacement fluid. should i buy a couple bottles of geniune meyer yellow fluid. don't want it to screw anything up. it's a e-47 pump

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

oil won't matter as long as you drained the old oil out. will the blade lift all the way when unit is full? if yes lift it all the way and angle back and forth several times. does it work?
    if no maybe a sticky valve or failing coil. possible bad connection to the coil.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Want to bet the hoses are on backward too comrade? :nod:

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

possible, but he may have another issue.

dos vedonya.

5. zzzman

zzzman Member

what do u mean on backwards. i ask because when i turn the plow to go right nothing but when i go left it will turn to the right but slowly. i just figured on e-47 u have each plug in going away from eachother in the direction of each cylinder so i figured it went to that cylinder. the hoses won't fit if i don't

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The default function on a Meyer is angle left if you have a valve(s) that isn't working correctly or other various problems. Yours won't go left, it goes right and hence leads me to believe the hoses are reversed. Which port in the pump do you have to which cylinder?

7. zzzman

zzzman Member

if your looking at the front of the pump. the hose hookup behind the pump is going to the right cylinder. the hookup that is to the right of the pump is going to the left cylinder,

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep they're backward.

9. zzzman

zzzman Member

**** i'll have to buy longer hoses then. no way will they reach. so that should fix the problems i'm having then

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No it won't fix your issues, it will make your hose routing correct. Your issues are due to either bad quick couplers or a C valve that isn't working correctly.

11. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

12. WeDoSnowplowing

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  13. zzzman

zzzman Member

ok got the hoses switched around and now the plow goes to the left great. but it won't angle right. i have one old coupler on there which i am changing tomorrow just to take the guess work out of it. but all the others are brand new. it just sounds different when trying to angle to the right compared to angling to the left. if it's not the coupler do u think it's the c valve and if so what can i do to try to fix it.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Will it lift ok? If yes then check the C coil for magnetism.

15. zzzman

zzzman Member

yes lifts just fine would air in that cylinder cause that also. but i will check the coil tomorrow. thanks

16. WeDoSnowplowing

Meyer fluid is yellow. The one I been buying here is green in a black bottle. Meyer Hydraulic Fluid Type M-1 Part # 15134 PREVENTS FREEZE-UP WITH ANTI-ICER.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It would make it slow initially (spongy actually) but wouldn't totally stop it from functioning.

18. zzzman

zzzman Member

problem fixed. it was a bad coupler on the pump. just switched the hose around and it started pumping fluid. thanks B&B for all the troubleshooting tips. just need the headlights hooked up and wait for the snow to come. thanks again everyone

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear you're up and running. :drinkup:

It's also a wise idea to keep a spare set of couplers on hand as they'll go bad without warning. Easy fix if the need ever arises again when you have them on hand.