1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clutchs

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by 6spd5.9, Dec 29, 2010.

1. 6spd5.9

6spd5.9 Junior Member
    from pa

Best clutch for 06 5.9 medium towing and plowing

2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Call Peter at South Bend Clutch. I have a Con Fe THAT I BOUGHT BACK IN 2003! AND IT'S STILL HOLDING!!!! I LOVE THIS THING! Living behind the torque of a modified Cummins ain't no picnic.

Okay, I'll calm down now. South Bend Clutches were made famous by the Dodge Cummins sled pulling crowd. Peter has a clutch for all kinds of crazy stuff. Towing and plowing snow make Peter and his crew smile and roll their eyes like this and say "is that all your'e gonna do with it? ----->:rolleyes:

http://www.southbendclutch.com/

3. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

I agree with ProSeasons! Peter and South Bend are top notch and stand behind their work!
    Off topic:pro Seasons what all do you have done to your '01? I'm gathering parts to do hx35/ht3b twins on mine after the winter season.

4. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Uhhh, lessee...I blew the headgasket sled pulling, so I took it all apart to rebuild it for more pulling.

Arias forged pistons, (Lower CR) PDR Stage 1 Cam, Studs, girdle and balanced crank, (Heck, it was out, right?) Fluid Damper. Dipped and decked and fire ringed the block (I like a lot of boost) and put it back together after also fire ringing the head (I lied to Patty Haisley...Shhhhh!) I couldn't get the head to seal so I grooved 'em both.

Hot Rod VP-44, Jammer 2 injectors, a Con Fe and a homebuilt PDR Hx-40/14 -HT-60 Twin set up that was a complete pain in the butt! Lol! ....OH! and a Banks (yuck) Fueling Box stacked on top of a Smarty Tune.

Did it all by myself! Okay me and a local guy who helped me fix my welds!

Making Traction bars now!

5. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

South Bend or Valair are both good. Customer service is great with both as well.

6. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

Stock.
    A guy I know has a 600hp cummins Dakota 10.50 drag truck with a STOCK clutch in it.

7. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

Do you have any video of the truck? I'd like to see it run. I know most of the fast diesel guys in the country and I haven't seen this one. Unless you are talking the 10.50 in the 1/8th

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

My stock clutch died a horrible death...it was ugly.
    I would hope a clutch for a Ram would live in a Dakota stripped down for drag racing.

9. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

Come to New England Dragway, he's there almost every Fri night during the summer.
    And 10.50 is the tire he runs. I don't know if he runs the class, just see him on street nights when they prep the track.

10. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

I have a 97 dakota v8 xcab 5-speed.
    253,000 on my original clutch, plowed for the last 30k
    Towed It's whole life so I don't know about yours.:laughing:

11. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

There was a 10.50 diesel class and that why I ask. I haven't heard of anyone running a stick running that fast. There are guys running clutches in front of a automatic running that and faster, down into the low 9's, but none were Dakotas. Still I like to see a video, I like to see the handshakers go fast.

12. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

It's short life was between a turned up Cummins and an 8100 pound pick up truck, and my right foot which is considerably heavier....

13. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

So it didn't die.. You killed it!! =)
    My grand daddy told me take care of your clutch and it will last forever. He taught me to drive a 5-speed when I was 8yrs old.

14. LawnmastersMike

LawnmastersMike Member

It doesnt take much to get a stock clutch to slip, just about any programmer or power adder. If I was worried about saving clutches I'd buy a nopowerstroke!

15. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

THIS is actually TRUE! I'm a murderer......;) I need to come up to NH to get some clutch lessons...