1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by thesnowman269, Mar 1, 2011.

1. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Well for the 2nd time in the past month i will be taking my transmission out due to slave cylinder failure. I replaced the part with a brand new one not even a month ago and it failed on me today. luckly it was in my driveway and i did not have to get the truck towed home. NAPA will be replacing the part free of charge to me but i have to go through all the labor again :realmad:. since im pulling the tranny out and id like for this to be the last time i do this for some time i will be replacing the clutch. Ive been looking at some performance clutches and have found a few that ive never heard of before. such as hays and zoom. Hays clutches states in there advertising there clutches are built to with stand the abuse of offroading and snowplowing abuse (imagine that exactly what i was looking for). however i have never heard of them before and dont know how well there products are made. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with hays clutches or another brand that you have found to be exceptionally well
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

luk makes a good clutch. why do you have to pull the transmssion to change the slave cylinder?
  3. thesnowman269

its inside the bellhousing :mad:

this is the kit i was looking at http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HAY-90-325/
  4. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

SouthBend Clutch makes some awesome clutches and Peter gives the best customer service. I had one in my old dodge and got the truck stuck in a big snow drift and cracked the disc hub and called Peter about it and he sent me a new one right away no questions asked... Definatley a good company to deal with.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Hayes and Zoom have been around since the 60's, they both are great clutches and I've run Hayes in the past. Another good clutch is Borg Warner, just make sure you get double springs in the pressure plate and don't forget to change the pilot bushing and throw out bearing too.:mechanic:
  6. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

What is the failure? Symptoms prior to failure? Pictures?
  7. thesnowman269

The slave cylinder lost all pressure. I assume a bad seal somewhere. You can pump up the pedal but one it builds pressure it goes to the floor and spray brake fluid everywhere inside the bellhousing. I took the inspection cover off and there was a drip if brake fluid from the slave cylinder. Seemed pretty obvious to me its the slave cylinder that went. Onlything odd that was happening was the truck had a bad shake. But im sure that's from when the tire shop bent my rim and put it back on the truck like nothing happened. There is a chance it could have been from the drivetrain. I don't see why that would cause the slave cylinder to blow a seal and start leaking. Unless the pressure plate is messed up? Either way its all getting replaced and ill be going back to the tire shop to have them buy me a new rim
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you losing clutch fluid?
  9. mrv8outboard

It is possible that there is some thing wrong with the clutch. If it is worn thin but still engaging then the excessive travel would cause the condition you describe. I have seen many of the clutch packs I use from NAPA are LUK clutches. I have been using them for years with out issue. Make sure what ever you use for a clutch assembly you have the flywheel resurfaced.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

When you replace a clutch you need to do it completely. Pressure plate, clutch disk, slave cylinder, pilot bearing and resurface the flywheel.If the slave cylinder did fail I would raise hell! I bet if a pro did it they might make it right.
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you talking about NAPA reimbursing a shop? You're kidding, right?
  12. thesnowman269

Good thing im ASE certified hu?
  13. mrv8outboard

Had a brand new glow plugs go bad the next day and my local NAPA got the plug manufacturer to pay to have the heads pulled and plugs changed. They also paid to have a ring gear replaced from a bad starter.
  14. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

since last october, i have had to put 2 slaves cylinders on to my 93 460/5pd truck and last month got fed up with it and noticed my new napa clutch setup last spring of 2010 greneaded the pressure plate springs as it was made in china. The disc was in perfect shape though.

Napa did warranty everything as a defect and did pay to have the flywheel turned the same day.

I would check your pressure plate as my springs were stuck in the bottom of it amking it sometimes hard to shift in/out of some gears or loose pedal pressure on the external slave that i have.
  15. mrv8outboard

All the NAPA kits I have installed have had "Luk" disc's in them.