1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clutch slipping already

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Smitty58, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I have only had approx 12 hours plowing with my new truck. I just got back home from plowing for 1 1/2 hours and the clutch is slipping and stinking. Am I in trouble? It is a 05 F-350 6-spd.

2. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Sounds like time for a new clutch. My last truck had a clutch and I prefer that to an auto but if you ride the clutch it will burn out quick.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Sounds like there was a problem fromthe factory, Clutches don't just go, you should get atleast 60,000 miles out of the clutch. I don't care if you ride it or not, it doesn't just slip after 12 hours of plowing.

4. deh8255

deh8255 Member
    from Indiana

Clutch

I agree. You definately had a problem before you started plowing. There is abosolutely NO way even if you were riding it that you would burn it up that fast. The clutch on your truck is a beast. NO way you should have a problem with it.

5. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

A bad driver can smoke a stock clutch in 12 hrs of plowing, Not saying you are. How many miles on the truck now?

6. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Wow, I think that my be a new record for shortest clutch life. Its either a bad clutch from the factory (it does happen), or someone wasn't very nice and rode the piss out of it. I have sticks in all of my plow trucks and have never had any problems like that. Mine have just wore out because of use and a little abuse. The stock clutch in my 97 lasted until 45,000 miles, thats with a 450+hp-460ci, the stock in the 99 lasted until the 80,000 mile range (if I remeber right) and thats towing 14,000lbs or more 5-6 days a week. But the clutch in the 03 only lasted about 7,000 miles, it didn't like a 400+hp (at that time) diesel pulling a 32,000lbs pulling sled.....

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You didn't slip the clutch a lot up against heavy loads / piles did you?
    I was taught to raise to blade a bit and back up 3-4 foot behind the pile move forward with the clutch fully out and drop the blade before you get to the load. If you can't back up you dump the clutch against the load. Never slip it against the load it can't recover from that heat load. It could be a bad clutch too,broken spring on the pressure plate or clutch plate or hydraulic leak in the slave cylinder check the fluid reservoir.

8. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

The truck has 13000 miles on it. I feel like an idiot, the 1 mistake I have been making is not using low gear. During the summer with no load on you don't need the low 1st, but with the plow and a ton of salt on you need the low 1st. I hope I haven't ruined the clutch figuring that out. :(

9. MickiRig1

See what other people say about "Plowing with a Manual" using the search function up on the blue line. The question of how to is asked at least 3 times a year.

10. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

i had a chevy with a 5 speed and got 140k out of the first clutch and replaced it in mid summer and got 2 months out of it. i never liked the way it sounded or engaged i think maybe you got a bad 1 also.

11. MickiRig1

You did replace the pressure plate,clutch plate,pilot bearing,slave cylinder,throw out bearing and the flywheel surface machined?
    I even replace the bolts holding down the pressure plate. If you don't replace all the parts you will not have a good outcome. I have seen it happen a few times because someone went cheap and ended up doing it all over again.