1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clutch Seizing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Anyone have suggestions for keeping the clutch from seizing up on a gas powered spreader? I think it is from the salt and sand. Occasionally, when first turning it on, I have to hit it with a shovel to get it to engage. I think spraying it with a lubricant will only cause it to slip. Thoughts.....Suggestions?????

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Salt away or a similar product. Wash it well after every use to neutralize the salt.

3. leon

leon Senior Member

clutch

I would use a bit of isopropyl alcohol on it to free it up and dry the pads and housing if it is open to air.

Is it a Hilliard clutch?

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Brad,
    I had a old Meyers/Swenson that I would occationally have to "adjust" the motor (loosen the 4 bolts and use a pry bar to get the proper tension on the clutch) to get the clutch to engage..... It showed similar symtoms as you are stating...so in my situation it had nothing to do with the clutch

5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at that. I figured it was the clutch seizing as it would start to work when I hit it with a shovel. Do I want the belt as tight as I can get it?

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

You want it fairly tight... I used to use the pry bar with one hand then tighten one bolt with the other...then another then another ..... worked pretty good but if you had 2 people it would be much easier.... HIH

7. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

May have figured out the problem. I don't think the battery is getting re-charged by the motor. I started the spreader motor the other day and when I engaged the conveyor, it was going very slow (too slow to use it). The next day I tested the battery and it was totally dead. I charged the battery and now it works fine. Has anyone else experienced this?