1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clutch problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, Dec 6, 2004.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I have a 98 S10 4cyl. 2wd that has clutch problems. i can not get it into first gear when the engine is running. i have to shut it off to get into gear. once in first i am able to shift but i have to force it. if the truck is in first on flat ground with the clutch all the way in , it will move forward. any insight is greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Either your clutch is not adjusted properly or on a the rease fingers on clurcht has broken and it is not fully releasing. If adjusting clutch does not fix it (adjust pedal higher) that you will need to tear into it for inspection.

3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Sounds like the clutch is not releasing fully.

Try the adjustment as Tarkus suggested.

Maybe you have air in your hydraulic system, or maybe a bad master or slave cylinder.
    Check the fluid level and try pumping up the clutch before shifting into 1st gear.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Yes good idea on bleeding system if it is hydraulic.