1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clutch problem. need help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JohnsonLawn, Nov 4, 2005.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

Ok, I was driving the other day and stopped at a stop light, pushed in the clutch pedal and it went all the way to the floor. I had no clutch. there was fluid leaking onto the ground, so I knew I had a problem, so I took it to my mechanic and he replaced the line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. The problem I am having is that I now have no pressure in the pedal. It is very spongey and low. I have to pump the pedal to get more response from the clutch. The mechanic says he bled the line the best he could. Anybody got any ideas as to what it could be. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks Mike

2. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Let us know what kind of truck, it may make a difference.

Many trucks need you to loosen the master cylinder from the firewall to angle it back down slightly, instead of the upward angle it is mounted at so all the air can be bled.

3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

theres an actuator in the master cylinder, ours went in a 93 F-250. The plastic thing broke, and is doesn't fully catch onto the clutch pedal. Another thing to check is the fluid level, it sounds simple but it may be the cause.

4. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

It is a 92 chevy k3500 4 x 4. The fluid level seems to be alright. The clutch works , the pedal is just no where near as high as it was before the problem.

5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

can you pull the pedal back towards you, or is that as far as it goes?

6. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

The pedal seems to creep up slowly, higher than it was before, but when you put your foot on it, it goes almost completely to the floor before you feel any resistance.

7. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a 94 just like that. I had the same problem after I put a new slave cylinder on . I bled the heck out of it and it was still as you described. But after a couple of weeks it was back to normal. I think it may take time to get every last bit of air out of the system.

8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Just my experience

Hey any chance your mechanic broke the line between the master and slave? See how many fittings you have-You maye just have a loose one you will need metric flare nut wrenches and really tighten them.
    Last winter I hit a raised manhole hard enough to stop the truck dead. When I started her back up I had an exaust leak on the passengers side. The leak overheated the slave and it failed when I was pushing bankings back. well I decided to do the job myself, but broke the line at the slave, I had to put a couple of fittings to switch from standard back to metric. I got a similar condition like you described. After a couple of hours in the mud I brought it to the garage and they couldn't find the problem. The last fitting before the slave for me was tight and didn't leak fluid, but it was the problem. I ran into this with an 88 K2500 with a granny tranny. Hope this helps

9. chevyone

chevyone Junior Member

clutch

I replaced all the parts for the clutch on my 1990 3500.
    It did not help, Had a guy tell me to park it with the front end raised up and open the bleeder and walk away.

Did that and came back 10 min later and added fluid, another 10 min and I closed the bleeder and it has worked great since then.

I noticed that the bleeder end of the slave clylinder is lower than the end in the transmission.

I hope that this works for you.

Chevyone