1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clutch interlock switch

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by smokey, Feb 16, 2004.

1. smokey

smokey Member
    from indy

how can I bypass the clutch starter interlock switch on a '97 F-250?

2. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

I'm looking at a picture of the switch on a 97 you have the non adjustable type, which is located on the master cylinder pushrod. It should work like this: There are two different diameters on the pushrod, the smaller diameter is towards the cylinder side (ie. this part is exposed when the clutch is released). The larger diameter is towards the pedal side of the pushrod. Thus when you press in the clutch the step up in diameter causes the switch to trip allowing current to continue through to the starter solenoid starting the truck. If you look at it you will see, you can pull the switch off the pushrod and insert a rod the same size as the LARGER DIAMETER of the pushrod shank, the switch will stay permanently tripped and on so you can start the truck without. Even if this makes no sense remember the switch is on the fire wall on the master cylinder if you look at you can rig something up, or cross the wires so it is constantly shorted.

Attached Files:

3. smokey

smokey Member
    from indy

Thanks where did you get that picture? Anyhow my problem is the rod end of that push rod is so worn out (208,000 miles) that it won't stay connected properly thereby not triggering the switch. I was looking for an easy fix but since its a work truck and I'm not paying for parts I will probably just get a new rod. But like I said before I was trying to fix it without tearing into the master cylinder. Thanks again

4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

My old boss had a similar problem with his clutch on an older f250 early 90s the plastic guide that holds the clutch pushrod was worn out allowing the rod to move sideways when depressing the pedal. I don't know much about the details of the repair that he did just thought i'd mention it.

5. smokey

smokey Member
    from indy

Yeah that happened here but the bushing was worn out for so long that now the rod end is also worn out . hence my current situation.

6. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Smokey can you take a picture of the switch showing the wires and post it?
    If there are only 2 wires on the switch then just hook them together and try to start it.
    If that does not work then take them apart and try to start it.
    If you have 4 wires then post a pic of the switch.

Don't forget to push the clutch in anyway when the wires are rigged so you don't run someone over.

7. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

I have the same prob on an 88 ranger. Ive been driving it to run odd, messy jobs at work. The clutch linkage is getting so bad that every so often, the pedal will fall off the shaft! I have just learned to move the pedal around from side to side and hold the key forward until it catches. Hey, look at it this way, I will never have to worry about anyone stealing the truck.

Tony