1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clutch Fork

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by maverjohn, Dec 30, 2011.

1. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I have a 89 Chev 3/4 ton with 4-speed trans, I was told it has a heavy duty clutch in it, when plowing yesterday and the clutch pedal gave way and i had nothing, so replaced the clutch master, slave and hose. When I installed the slave cylinder I notice the slave rod dose'nt hit the fork until the slave is fully installed and the rod is already fully extended I'm thinking the clutch fork broke. :cry: Any one else have a idea what it mite be

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

well first off,,,,you got what you deserve for plowing when the rest of us are just sitting on our dupas.....lol j/k
    can you move the fork by hand?? how much play does it have in it??
    i have never seen a fork break. either the pivot for the fork broke or maybe one of the ears on the fork broke, or you might need a clutch.

3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I can just touch the fork with one finger and it moves very little, I'm thinking the pivot broke because the fork is at a angle and dose'nt line up with the slave rod and the fork is to deep to be moved by the slave rod

4. dieselss

i dont remember how they mount in the trans, but if the mount is broke, you should be able to move that rod pretty good. maybe an extension and push on it and see what it does.

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I used a long punch and tryed to move the fork around and it moved very little, the fork seems to deep to even work.

6. dieselss

ok,,can you look in there with a light??? sounds like maybe the pivot? can you try and pull the fork out??

7. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

No room to pull the fork out, just a small one inch hole to look in and I cant see a thing.

8. dieselss

ok,,,just trying to get a more positive feeling before i would pull the trans. didnt know if you had a magnetic pick up tool? or like a wire or something to try and pull on it

9. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I could take the slave cyl off and try and pull with something on the fork, but I will still need to pull thr trans so I can fix what broken.

10. dieselss

that is true...im thinking that that is going to your only option at this point :(
    i would still pull the slave and do/see what you can

11. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I'm also thinking I should pull the motor instead of the trans, I don't have a truck lift or a tranny jack

12. dieselss

i ended up pulling my trans on my back with a craftsman motorcycle jack...not fun that was one heavy sob!!!!!!!!!

13. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I stuck a lighted scoop in the one inch hole and did'nt find anything broke or out of place, I then measured the depths from the fork to the slave and its 3 1/4 the slave will extend to 6 inches, is 2 3/4 all I need for the fork to work correctly?
    My next problem is I can't build up pressure in the system to bleed it, when I bench test the master and the slave they both build up pressure but on the truck nothing :realmad:

14. dieselss

hummmm,,,,are you sure you have full movement of the clutch pedal rod to the master??

15. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I'm back up and running strong, I had a young guy helping me because I throw my back out and I took his work on some of this stuff not working, (that's my fault) I did a search here on plow site on bleeding the hyd clutch and went down to the shop and did it all myself and a hour later I was up and running.
    The slave rod was not working because the fitting was lose and one mounting nut was finger tight.
    Thanks for chiming in dieselss. Thumbs Up

16. dieselss

oh thats so awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no trans/engine removal.Thumbs Up
    cheap and easy fixes those are the best.....just trying to help anyway i can
    no its :drinkup: time lol