1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clutch fan ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dheavychevy38, Feb 7, 2011.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

I have a 2003 chevy 2500hd with a 6.0 in it. The fan likes to stop spinning . If you shut the truck off and let it sit for a min it will go right back to working. So I changed it and the same thing happened. Never had anything like this happen before usually they lock up not free spin ?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Does it free spin when it's hot/operating temp? Or only when it's cold?
  3. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

My fan clutch was junk, got it replaced & a new thermostat just to be safe ...

Got a great deal on the Fan Clutch GM #15710101 (with GT5-4:10 axle)
    paid $ 110 cash & then paid $85 labor to install,

plus $65 more for thermostat install & coolant replacement. (thermostat was only $10 including the housing that came with it)

Tech said when the truck motor is ice cold fan should NOT spin free, or be too tough to spin by hand ... mine was pretty easy to spin by hand ..... now the new one is real tough to spin my hand when motor is ice cold ...but it can be done. just as the tech advised
  4. truckboy

truckboy Junior Member
    from texas

There might be problem with the fan blades, check wheather they are in the good shape or not, check wheather they have bent or broken. and if there is any leak in the fan clutches then replace the fan clutch.
  5. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

If memory serves me the 6.0's had a TSB for this and one of the upgrades was to use a clutch from a diesel.
  6. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

I already put a fan clutch in it. Only took about an hour. The fan is plastic and all blades are in good shape and not contacting the shroud. When cold the fan should spin easy and when hot is when it shouldn't be easy this is caused by the spring inside thats contacts or expands with temp thus the word clutch. Im not sure what going with a diesel one would change if it just quits working randomly even the new one does. Shut the truck off let it sit for a miniute and then its fine again.
  7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

had an issue with our 02 6.0 overheating. would notice that the fan spun much slower when the temps got hot.

ended up replacing our entire cooling system.

coolant recovery bottle had a leak
    radiator was clogged up and not flowing properly
    water pump had a leak
    replaced tstat just to be safe
    fan spun slowly so we replaced the fan clutch.

we did each of these separately and the problem kept re-occuring, once everything was completed, no more issues.
  8. herbert02

herbert02 Member

Put a extreme duty fan clutch in it or a electronic cooling fan if your plowing. Chevy's have a problem overheating with the blade on. Either way its fairly cheap.