1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clutch Fan info on '04 GMC 2500HD

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Frozen001, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I knot this issue has been posted about before, but no one has come up with the actual TSB # for this. Basically I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD (6.0 liter Reg cab long box truck SLT). Second time I had the plow on the truck the temperature went to 230 degrees. As I understand it GM has a replacement clutch fan. I am bringing the truck in on Thursday, and if I could have as much information as possible to give the dealer so I do not have to deal with "we do not see anything wrong", or "we do not have that TSB". ANYONE who has information on this please post it here or PM it to me.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Same truck. I am also very curious about this.

What was your build date?

I'm concerned that the replacement fan will be on in the summer WAY too much though.

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I don't know what my build date is ...I will check it when I go home from work, and post it up here. The temperature on mine has been rock solid until last night(just below the 210 line)... short trip w/plow on and boom high temperature. Previous time out with plow (some plowing, but not a lot) temp went just above 210 line(needle edge was just touching the 210 line), but I defiantly heard the fan roar when the clutch engages, but this time no change in the fan noise with the MUCH higher temperatures.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You may just actually have a bad cluth fan unit since you said that it seemed to work before.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Well I did some more driving around with the plow on to see if I can debug the problem some more here is what I found out.

1) Driving with the plow low and angled helped, but did not solve the problem
    2) While driving it did not appear that the clutch fan was engaging.
    3) If I stopped the truck the fan would engage, and the truck would cool down

By these observations I can say that it appears that the clutch fan is engaging, just not when the truck is moving. This leads me to believe that there is enough air flow through the radiator to keep the clutch fan from engaging, but not cool the truck down. The seems like it is just a problem with the temperature setting of the fan needs to be set correctly.

6. intlco

intlco Senior Member

The dealer here says the truck needs to be moving at least 35mph for the clutch fan to engage.
    My 2004 truck temp goes up to bout 230 with the blade on driving on the interstate. The dealer said it's okay and not to worry, they engines run better at hotter temps.

It's too bad they stopped putting the electric fans in the grill. I think they worked good.

7. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

230 is way to hot in my opinion. The plow-prep package is suppose to have "HD cooling" then the engine should never get above normal operating temperature. 230 to me is way over the normal operating temperature. Also if this is true then why to many people on the site say there GMC/Chevy runs at or below 210????

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I found some more information

I was given this information on a GM Truck forum:

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Frozen,

We would have the GT5 (4.10's)

Where exactly is this P/N on the clutch?

10. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Part Number: 15710101
    Description: Clutch Asm, Fan Blade
    Usage: 4WD 2500 and LQ4/GT5/VYU

Part Number: 22149877
    Description: Clutch Asm, Fan Blade
    Usage: 4WD 2500 and LQ4/GT4/VYU

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I saw those two numbers, I just trying to determine a way to find out what OUR trucks have from the factory.

12. rarbs

rarbs Junior Member

Gmc - 2500 Hd

My truck(GMC 2500 HD 4x4 - 2005) is experiencing the same problem - I just purchased truck in May of 2005. Just went out yesterday to plow for the first time and my truck overheated. display read "coolant hot and engine overheated" - I let it cool down for about 30 min. and then it worked ok. I have an appt. tomorrow @ the dealership. I guess i should bought a ford!I'll mention to the dealer about the fan replacement. Anyone else have this same problem and did you get your problem resolved?

13. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

been there done that

had mine done 3 years ago.i can not beleive they still havent taken care of this in the factory some 3-4 years later,maybe i can beleive it.it is a very well known problem.print what is posted above and show it to the service rep.if they still play dumb tell them you want to talk to the area rep. its sad you pay all the money for the truck and have plow prep and they cant build it right.if the area rep is dumb to it too call customer care.it will get fixed but unfortunately you have to deal with people that dont read the tsb`s updates,etc.and yes 230 is way too hot,not good for the motor and the tranny will also over heat,thats where id worry about 230 degrees.

14. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Same problem. Used 2003 I bought with no warranty left. GM's solution-sell me a new one. I even called the 1-800 phone number at GM and they acknowledged the problem but said too bad. They said it should have been replaced under warranty. I didn't own it then, and the previous owner would not have had any problems unless he had a plow on it. Why buy a truck with plow prep, 4.10's,4x4 and all the goodies to work if you have to modify it after you buy it? Should have kept the old Superdookie that was giving me problems. At least I already had most of the bugs worked out of it. Now I have a 2 year old GM with 40k miles that has cost me $2500 in repairs so far. Now I get to go out and buy an electric fan and work on this turd again.

15. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Been there done that last year...The factory was putting in the wrong fan clutch at the factory...I can't believe they have not corrected the problem yet.
    I had mine done and it took care of the problem. Truck runs perfect. Also the fan clutch is really not noticed in the summer, except that I did notice the AC being a lot colder.....

16. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I know this is going to sound like an excuse, but looks at it this way... your an assembly line worker, you place the same parts on day in and day out...The snow plow prep is suppose to get a different clutch fan... but wait they look exactly the same so since people are creatures of habit guess what... the wrong fan will get put on occationally...

Having said that you would think GM would have put some sort of procedure in place to correct such a blatant problem... even some thing simple like painting the snow plow prep clutches....

17. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Any dealer worth his salt that ou're taking the truck to has alread heard about this problem at least three times this week. If under warrant, it will be replaced free of charge. It's not getting enough ariflow with the plow on the trigger the sensor, but the new fan will fix that.

That is, unless you're like me, and the dealer puts on the same exact fan when they replace it, and you have to go back and have them re-replace it.

-K

18. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Maybe I missed it but what is the TSB# for this issue? I plan on going to the dealer this week as I have the same problem too.

19. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Check message # 8 in this thread

Lou

20. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

1/2 ton fan clutches

is this just the 3/4 ton or are the 1/2 tons with plow prep
    victoms to..