1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clutch bleeding

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by andcon83, Mar 3, 2010.

1. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

My boss has a '95 250. The clutch ran low on fluid and now it doesn't work. Is there some way to bleed the thing? There is about 6" of free play in the pedal and it doesn't disengage all the way. Thank for any help.

2. leon

leon Senior Member

clutch

there should be a fitting on or near the fluid lines to bleed the air buuuut there is reason why he lost fluid and the cylinder lost its seal or a line is broken or the whole thing is wadded.

leon:mechanic:

3. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I don't think he has ever check it in 15 years...only has 30,000 miles on it. Thanks for the help. Bleed it like you would the brakes?

4. hiranger

hiranger Member

Slave cylinder could have went out. Probably internally mounted. I had one do the same thing you are talking about and the slave cylinder went bad. Hopefully yours did not.

5. MaineF250

MaineF250 Senior Member
    from Maine

Slave probably went bad, should be external so no need to pull the tranny. Do yourself a favor and buy the whole pre-bled kit, comes with the master,slave and line. Its not too much money, around 130 bucks and saves a bunch of hassle. I blew the slave cylinder on my 95 F250 and spent 3 weeks bleeding the damn thing before I got it right.

6. leon

leon Senior Member

clutch

I would check the bell housing and see if you have any flud dripping if the slave cylinder is mounted nearby and if so its curtains :yow!:

be sure to raise the truck on a ramp or jack stands to keep it from moving as you need to get under it too bleed it if its on the bell/clutch housing you need to fill the resevoir and and then have someone press the clutch peddle down and open the bleeder valve to bleed the air out of the reservoir, then you need to bleed the air out of the line going to the slave cylinder and add fluid to make up the loss form the air being bled but my money is on the slve cylinder being bad as well.

go to the www.rangerstation.com for more help with step to step directions.

I tried up load the home page but I have to leave you with thw web address, sorry.

7. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I second the prebled thing.

Bleeding a clutch in a ford SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

I just filled the master cylinder in my 87 250 and pushed the slave in my hand. It kinda bled itself in just a couple minutes. I have no idea how it worked but it did!!

9. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

It is the internal kind. Worked on it for half the day and couldn't get it to work. We got mad and were into the beer by 1pm. Boss is going to take it to someone with more know-how than us. We tried everything, including a vaccum pump hooked to the bleeder screw.