1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clunkly Dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by nsmilligan, Sep 2, 2003.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

My 98 2500 had developed a loud clunk in the steering area when hitting bumps and braking, after reading some TSB's re replacing the steering shaft, I removed mine, and it was quite sloppy so I took a BFH and a center punch and center punched the outer shaft about a 1/2 in from the end on all 4 sides. End of noise, I'm not sure how long this "fix" will work, but at only about 5 min to remove the shaft, it's sure cheaper then a new one!

Bill

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It will come back,as the areas you punched wear quickly.

Another quick and easy fix is to use a few zip ties,slid down between the two shafts.It last's longer.

3. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Thanks Wyldman,
    I didn't figure it to be a long term fix, but it so easy to remove the shaft, next time I'll try the ties, the nylon should last longer.

Bill

4. szorno

szorno Senior Member

An outfit called Borgeson make replacement steering shafts with aircraft quality universal joints. I have them on all my older Dodges. Very stable and long lasting. (My 97 is ok for now) They run about $200 in round numbers. Do a Yahoo search and it should come up easily.:waving:

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Flaming river also has the shafts,and much better support and customer service.A lot of the guys who go the Borgeson shafts were unhappy with the after sales service and support.`