1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clunking sound from rear end from stop

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by VnDrWLawnCare, Jan 4, 2009.

1. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

Hello,
    Hopefully someone else has experienced this problem and can help me out.
    2004 GMC 1500 4x4

It doesnt happen every time, but close to... when taking off from a stop i get a clunk noise from the rear end. It feels like it is loose or something is moving or shifting. Has anyone experienced the same thing, and what is the problem / cost to fix.

The truck doens't even have 50,000 miles on it, and has been used to pull a 16 ft enclosed for lawn care.
    Thanks for any help
    Eric

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

U joint in drive shaft would be my first guess. as far as cost about $50 for both

3. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

I had the same thing happen I took the shaft out and filled the end that goes In the trans with auto trac fluid and it seemed to solve it. Just a suggestion

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

My 04 sierra did that last year. Mine was more of a squeeking though. You can do the u-joints yourself or bring them it in and have it done.

5. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

Thanks for the replies

A U joint would be about the easiest and cheapest fix. If the U joint is bad, would i hear a constant sound as i go down the road? The clunk sounds pretty loud, and sometimes wonder if part of the rear end might just break off. But it is funny that it is not everytime.

6. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Like mx rider said, the splines for the slip yoke arent lubed enough, when you take off the rear end squats a little and the splines have to slip, but yours are binding and will give you that clunk.. I think they even started putting some sort of plated slip yokes on some.

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i had this as well turned out my spare tire was alittle loose underthere and it was clunking around when stoping and starting.

8. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

Check the u-joints is the first thing to check. Then check the rear end for excessive play. Last it could be the chain in the t-case is loose. How many miles on the truck?

9. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

Truck has less than 50,000 miles on it.

How do i check the rear end for excessive play? What is normal?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with the rear axle, it's the slip yoke in the rear of the T-case like Spitz already mentioned. There were multiple TSB's for this issue which included an updated nickle plated yoke.

Greasing it will fix it temporarily but changing the yoke to the new design will fix it permanently.

11. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

You can check for play in the driveshaft, but just because there is none does not mean the joints are good. I just replaced them on my 07' no play at all. Once i got them out though I could see one cup had no bearings left at all. Cost me $10 for the joint and took about a 1/2 hour to do. All my noise is gone now. (knock on wood) I was getting the same clunk or tick as you when shifting as well as a strong vibration above 55mph. Some noise is normal though when shifting on our trucks. But if you're sure it wasn't there before u-joints is where I'd start.

12. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

You never know and it doesn't hurt to check i have seen everything from pickups to semis come from the dealers with no oil in them and then out of no where am the give out. I know they have had lots of tsb on those things but i have also seen u-joints that when in the shaft make it feel good and tight but when removed all those parts inside with no grease become powder. To each his own.

13. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

Thanks for the replies

I dont have any vibration or noise at any speed. The only noise i have is when taking off from a stop. Sounds like the slip yoke by what i am reading and understanding.

Any idea on cost to fix that slip yoke to a new design?

I appreciate everyones help.

Eric

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Like I said, in your case/description the updated yoke will fix it. Very well known issue with these trucks.

The updated yoke will run you around $120...plus an hours worth of labor if your paying.

Yoke is GM p/n 12479383

15. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare Member

Thanks for all your help.

Going to get the transmission fluid changed Wed. They said they would also look at the rear end and fix that as well. Common issue he said.

Eric

16. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

If you dont know for sure have them pull the rear shaft and check the u-joints and just lube the splines right away, if you notice the noise is gone after reinstallation maybe think about the plated slip yoke when its time to change out the u-joints..

17. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Ive been having this issue myself lately and have an appointment to get my 04 1500 CC in the shop to be checked out this Friday.

18. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

Hi i have this same problem in my Silverado 2500. I checked the part number but only seems to be working on other sites and not GMpartsdirect. Is this the correct part number for my truck ?

2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 with the 6.0 Motor

Im sure B&B can chime in on this for sure since he seems to be the ultimate Chevy guy on the forum

Thanks

19. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

That number you posted according to the bulletin is for 1500 silverado/sierra and suvs.

What cab configuration do you have?

20. livetoplow

livetoplow Member

2000 Silverado 2500 4x4 with Ext Cab and short bed

Thanks !