1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clunking noise

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hello again,,

My truck is a 1996 chevy diesel 2500 4x4. automatic.

Im noticing when its in 4x4 only, a clunking noise when I change gears from drive to reverse & vise versa after I drive a foot or two. Someone told me this could be a U joint.

I took it to the mechanic today, he didnt hear anything & said its more than likely fine or could be something with the drive train no engaging.

He already changed a lower left side ball joint about a week ago.

the best i could describe the clunk sound, is that its almost like when the emergency brake is on and you try driving a bit.

Any ideas ??????
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i would check the u-joints on the front shaft
  3. Also have someone check your rear differential. When the rear diff is going it can make the same noise.

Also be careful of transfer case and tranny fluids. If you run your transfer case with little or no fluid the gear teeth get hot and bend. Then when it engages it clunks.
  4. mikeauto1

mikeauto1 Junior Member
    from nh

sealer people

the clunk is is most lickly the the slip joint the goes into the end of the tranny, the all go bad from your year to 2005. the part is available through gm and is fairly cheap
  5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

change your u-joints
  6. dingybigfoot

dingybigfoot Senior Member

check ur joints on the front shaft. i had the same problem this past week.
  7. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I'm no mechanic, but like I told my friend the problem lies in the BOWTIE...:rolleyes:
    Clunking does sound like a U-joint issue..
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Jack up the rear of the truck and spin a back whel.Look for play in the u-joints and then do the same for the front. You will see and hear what is making the clunk. It could be the slip joint too.
  9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Does it only in 4x4,

Check u joints in FRONT driveshaft.