1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clunking from rear axle..

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ronnunan, Jan 7, 2007.

1. ronnunan

ronnunan Junior Member

I have a 79 K10 with locking rear diff..and hear a clunking when turning right and left at slow speeds especially when making a sharp right or left from stand still. I went to an axle place who specialize in these problems and they told me I needed the additive...I put the two tiny bottles in the axle...they smelled like rotten eggs...The clunking got better but still remains there. Any ideas..I dont fully trust their opinion. Altough I was ready to spend 1,000 to rebiuld and they said I didn't need it.
  2. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

I would get a 2nd. opinion.
  3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The clutch type diff wont make a clunking noise. You probably need a rebuild. Those 10 bolt axles are prone to break down.
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Better confirm, is this a clutch-type positraction unit or a Gov-Lock? I'm assuming this isn't something aftermarket like a Powertrax locker, I hate mine, it makes soooo much noise... but thats another story.

Do you still have proper lockup between the L & R sides if, for example, you brake-torque it up a little?

Is the noise bad? Is it suddenly a new noise?