1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clunk when accelerating

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowin207, Jul 3, 2010.

1. plowin207

plowin207 Member

i have an 01 sierra i have a leveling kit AAL and 285 75 tires letting you know cause i don't know if this has something to do with my problem since it started after i added this stuff. on to the problem. sometimes when i get on the gas from a stop there is a horible clunk as soon as, if not a split second after it has started rolling. it almost feels as if there is play in the drive train but im not sure since it doesn't do it all the time i checked the rear driveshaft no play checked the drive shaft to the front and there was play but i wasn't sure if there is supposed to be if it isn't in fourwheel drive if anyone can make since of what i have typed and give me an idea as to what to do to check for the problem id appreciate it as im not in a financial position to even take it to a mecanic to figure it out im pretty confodent in being able to replace parts but if the job is to big ill have o wait till i can get it somewhere thanks in advance

2. plowin207

plowin207 Member

sorry for the spelling ive never been good at it

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Its a quarterly thing for me.... Go to GM and by thier stuff, its called "Special grease" its really expensive, like $40 for a little container and pull the drive shaft out, put a finger full on it and put it back together... give it a little to work itself in and your good to go! No more super annoying clunks

4. plowin207

plowin207 Member

hate to sound like a jerk cause i really appreciate the help but is the special grease thing real cause it kinda sounds like a left handed monkey wrench or a peep hole for a sliding glass door.

5. tracerich

tracerich Member
    from Earth

Nope, its real. Drill a hole in the yoke and tap it. Insert a zerk fitting and grease it when you service it. That will take care of it. Or, put a rubber ball inside the yoke.

6. Triple L

from Canada

Im not even kidding you, its real, and its actually called "special grease"... made by gm or ac delco or whoever... I just bought a can 2 weeks ago

7. Triple L

from Canada

Here's a pic I just grabbed

:mechanic:

GetAttachment.jpg

8. plowin207

plowin207 Member

thanks i've just fell for those things one to many times. i will have to pick some up a day this week when i get a chance ill let you know if that solved my problem or if it is something more serious

9. Triple L

from Canada

Its not an instant fix, Give it a day or two... Does the trick every time for me tho...

10. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have used ceramic or synthetic grease. Can use almost anything.

11. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

My truck had a clunk and it was the rubber that come out of a tranny mount or a transfer case mount. I dont remember. My mechanic fixed it and its been fine ever since.