1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clunk shifting from reverse to drive and back

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bison1973, Oct 28, 2006.

1. bison1973

bison1973 Member

'99 chevy 2500 116,000 mi- has a lound clunk when shifting from reverse to drive and drive to reverse. It is annoying. U joints look fine. What's the problem with it?

tim

2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Did you Check to see if there is any play in the ujoints? I have had them be almost new, but still have play.

3. bison1973

bison1973 Member

well, just by getting under the truck and using my hands to see if there is play I don't find any.

tim

4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Not to sound redundant, but maybe there is play in the rear yolk?

5. bison1973

bison1973 Member

I'm getting it checked by a mechanic later this week. Any info from anyone I can get before then will be helpful.

tim

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My '99 Chevy Silverado 2500 has made that noise for at least 2 years. I have had a Chevy mechanic and independant mechanics tell me that its not uncommon. They said its most likely back lash in the rear end. Mine only does it going from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. i can lessen the clunking noise by putting the truck into neatral for a couple of seconds, before changing to reverse or drive. The Chevy mechanic said that it always sounds worse on a extended long bed truck cause of the length of drive shaft. Basically the longer the driveshaft the louder it sounds, kinda of like a big tuning fork. I thouhgt thatmaybe the idle was too high and that it was slamming in gear but I was told that isn't causing it. Since mine started making this noise, I hear about this problem alot with the Silverados. Do a search and see the thread I started on it.

7. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

our 91 dodge does the same thing i hope this isnt serious

8. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Bison,
    If you figure out what it is, please let us know.
    Hope it isnt serious. Good Luck

9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

If your truck has a carrier bearing make sure it is getting lubed. Had same problem cured by greasing carrier bearing assembly.

10. scaper27

scaper27 Member

It is the rear housing. It is expanded and there is play in the housing. It will do it for years and thousands of miles. Don't worry about it. I have it in both 99's and I know have 86,000 on one and 100,000 on the other, No problems. You have to replace the whole rear housing to get rid of it. Good luck. I deal with mine

11. imdawrlus

imdawrlus Member

try greasing the slip yoke where the driveshaft connects to the tranny.

sometimes they stick and clunk when they free themselves.

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

my 98 k1500 does it to, so its a fairly common problem i guess but it doesnt seem like its worth worrying to much about

13. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I just took mine in about that same problem on my 04. He told me the rear Yokes are the problem and there is a TSB on it they fixed it in a few hours and even replace my rear end fluid.

It sounds like a brand new truck again now......

14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I had a similar clunk and even though the U joints looked fine, I replaced them all at the same time and it went away. It will eventually fail if you let it go long enough. Probably at the worst time.

15. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

My '94 1/2 ton was doing this for about 4 months....U-joints were new. After the 4mo, the tranny self distructed. Now its a lawn ornimate for a while.

16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

You have to take pressure off of the drive line in order to check play in u-joints. Jack it up then see if there is any play.

17. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I had same problem it was a lound clunk in my 04 silverado I replaced u joints it was fine after that.I didn't thin u joints were bad but dealer said they were.

RCGM
    Brad

18. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

It is most likely the U-Joints. If you jack up the rear-end than get under the truck and rotate the drive shaft back and forth you should be able to tell witch one it is, But the truck wheels need to be off the ground!!!!!!!!wesport

19. bison1973

bison1973 Member

'99 Chevy shift clunck

I'm the one who originally started this disscusion. I had the truck looked at and the mechanic said the u joints are fine. Sure dosen't sound fine though. He said this is something that happens on GM trucks and there's not much one can do about it. I mean it's a MAJOR clunk on my truck. Although it dosen't do it nearly as badly in 4WD. Anyone out there have this problem and have it fixed? What was done and what did it cost?

20. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Find another mechanic. That's the wrong answer. U joints fixed mine.