1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clunk in the rear end

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by VThick, Nov 30, 2003.

1. VThick

VThick Junior Member
    from Vermont

Has any one had a problem with a clunking noise/feeling in the rear end of an 2000 Chev 1500? I have had the rear diff fluid changed with an anti-slip additive added. Still no luck stopping the clunk noise. The U-Joints are new as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. VThick

VThick Junior Member
    from Vermont

Help needed

Has anyone seen or heard of this being a problem?

3. ShiznityZ28

ShiznityZ28 Junior Member

when does it clunk? What kind of differential? HD locker or posi?

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

either the spider gears are worn out already (burnouts, spinning in snow) or the pin is worn or something went to hell with the locker-posi ( unless not equipped)

5. ShiznityZ28

ShiznityZ28 Junior Member

Thats what i am thinking. clunking excpesually around turns point to posi/diff does the truck do one wheel spins in mud/snow or during burnouts?

you could have cracked,chiped or broke a tooth in the gears but that would be a violant clunk that gets worse with time.

6. VictoryRedK1500

VictoryRedK1500 Member

It could be the slip yoke. This is a known problem with these trucks, and it causes a clunking sound when you take off from a stop. GM came up with a nickel plated yoke to try and remedy this problem, but I am not sure if it has helped or not. There is a TSB on this problem, but I don't know the number.