1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by rednecker, Dec 8, 2009.

1. rednecker

rednecker Junior Member

I'm in Atlanta, Ga where it almost never snows & NOBODY does snow removal. I've been contacted by US Maint. to bid on Walmart. I've been advised to run from USM -but with no construction down here, I need any work we can get, &:help: should be able to get a good price since there's no competition. They pay per event, which may be 1 or 2 events (if any). I'll be doing most of the clearing with a rubber track skid steer, but am clueless how to price. Does anyone know about how long it should take to clear a 9 acre parking lot with a skid steer at about 5mph?
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

you can't convince them to take a seasonal, or at least a retention fee?
  3. snobama

snobama Member

how would you apply salt for lot? More than likely you will be responsible for any and all liability... something to consider...
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

freaking forever.
    it takes about (more or less) 1 hour to clear one acre with a truck and blade.

a bucket is WAY slower than a push box or a blade, although a SS can be comparable to a truck depending on how the lot sets up.

The problem isn't that it doesn't snow, the problem is that you have to invest a lot of capital to buy equipment that may or may not get used.
    Plus of course, you have to get snow liability insurance.

and it may never snow
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

More hassles then what it is worth.
    I would pass
  6. cf1128

cf1128 Member
    from NH

I don't think its a waste of time, with all do respect, the big box stores ***** us out in the snow belt areas because there are a ton of people that have equipment and because we let them... Someone says yes to .11 a square foot?, if they can't find anyone, they will pay hourly, Emergency or back up teams do not ***** themselves out and get called when contract bid winners get in over their heads. That is usually around $75 hr for a 1 ton and $125hr for a loader and around 85 to 95 an hour for a larger dump and plow.
    To me, head north this summer, buy some equipment cheap from a low baller that goes out of business and sign up with them as an hourly if they can't find anyone.
    Just my .02