1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Club Cadet plow on Honda Recon

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Zach, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Zach

Zach Senior Member

I found a snow plow from a club cadet for really cheap and I have a friend who would help me weld up a mount for it, but is it that simple?? will the plow fit right? does anyone know where II can find the dimensions of the plow?

here are some pictures that should help...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hondarecon4435

hondarecon4435 Senior Member

yes it is really that simple. I have a bolens tractor plow i got off craigslist on my rancher for $50. i have a welding machine but it is broken so i built the mount and put it together with only bolts. i way overbuilt the thing out of 1/4 inch steel and it has no chance of breaking the frame would break first. also my friend(hondareconpby98) has a john deere plow he got off craigslist on his too we also built the mount for his using only bolts. we havent had any snow yet but we have been pushing alot of dirt that weighs alot more than the snow will so we are pretty confident they will hold up well once the snow hits.

3. hondarecon4435

also i plowed with my recon last year and they are very nice machines for there size and being 2wd they can move a good bit of snow

4. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

You already bascially have the push tubes. Just buy a cycle country mount for your quad. that's what I have and I have a farmall plow. I paid $20 for it. Here is the forum when I made my plow. Remember I had to make my own push tubes for the plow. Also if you look how my plow frame is also attached in the front. none like cycle country and moose plows arent they sway at the front of the quad. Mine doesn't. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=57659&highlight=arctic+cat+atv+plow

5. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

if you have decent fab skills you should be fine.

another option is to lengthen the lower mounting arms so that it hooks to the rear Hitch like the Swisher snow plows and then bolt the vertical bars you already have to the front Bumper/Rack and your set. put on a winch for Up/Down and your good to go.

6. Zach

Zach Senior Member

On the Club Cadet snow plow it looks like theres a bend (joint, hinge I cant think of te right word) in the middle of the push tubes, or where the plow meets the push tubes unlike the ATV plows with straight, solid push tubes from the plow.
    what sould I do? should I mount the push tubes still and just have the fron par move up and down? or should I weld the 2 parts together and have a straight push tube??

by the way, thanks for all your help
    and I feel dumb, I didnt know it was called Cub Cadet with no "L" no wonder I couldnt find any info :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  7. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

personally I would do what I did and make it hinge in the front of the atv. The plow wont sway in the front. I would do what I did. here are some pics hope they help. the shots of it on the quad you can see the pins towards the front of the quad. I ran some steel down there where my bumper/grill meets the bottom of the frame. that was my front hinge point. and under the quad as you can see from my first pic in the other forum I have a cylce country mount for the back of the plow frame. if you have any questions or want more pics of anything just let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

this is my cycle country mount under the quad. the push tubes werent hooked up to the front yet.
    [​IMG]

front view of push tubes hooked up without the blade on it yet. this is the pivot point for the plow. it wont pivot in the mid point of the quad it will pivot in the front and you will be able to lift to plow much higher.
    [​IMG]

push tubes hooked up to the front and painted. view of the plate under the atv.
    [​IMG]

9. Zach

Zach Senior Member

thanks for all your help, how far out do you think the front hinge should be? even with the front of the brushguard?

Also, I think Im just going to make a mount instead of buying one.

10. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya just make one. it depends how far out you want your plow to be out. just make sure it is far enough out that you will clear your tires when you turn. are you going to use a winch to lift it? is the quad 4/wd? because if it is 2/wd you dont want to set it out too far.

11. pby98

pby98 Member

my plow was of a old john deere garden tractor. i goit it for 50 bucks it to me a day jsut working at my own pace to mount it. i had to make a custom ount kit for it here is some pics below. i took a peice of 1/4 angle and ran it over the frame to hold it on along with two u bolts. mike 011.jpg

mike 010.jpg

mike 011.jpg

mike 010.jpg

12. Zach

Zach Senior Member

I will be using some kind of winch, probably a smaller (cheaper:)) one mounted on the plow and hooked to the brushguard.

And the ATV is 2wd, so your saying I should mount it as close as posible? (of coures with some extra room)

thats cool!

13. hondarecon4435

the best way to decide how far out it should be is angle it all the way but keep the mount straight with the recon. then move the plow back till it is about 2-4 inches from the tire then you will see how long the tubes need to be.my plow i had on my recon mounted under the floorboards but would only lift 6 inches from the ground but i think if you were to have the hinge in the front a good spot may be flush or just behind the front bumper. my rancher mount is very similar to pby98's because we built them together but i will post some pics of mine in a second. my blade will lift all the way up to the rack which is very nice.

14. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

yes you should mount it closer because if you mount it farther out it will take more weight off the rear wheels. so the closest to the quad the better off. and I would get a winch for the quad because those ones that attach to the plow are slow. Go to harborfreight.com and get one for $60 for the quad. I had a harbor freight winch a 2000lb and I liked it more then the warn on my quad now. beause my old quad had the harbor freight winch that I put on and it has more pulling power and speed to it then my 3000lb warn on this quad.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91727

15. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

thats how mine is you can lift it all the way up to the rack.

16. hondarecon4435

here is a pic of the mount and it shows how high the plow lifts

100_1733.JPG

100_1745.JPG

17. pby98

pby98 Member

mike 008.jpg

here is mine lifted. it would lift higher but i kept the plow as close to the quad as possible and it lifts high enough for me

mike 008.jpg

18. Zach

Zach Senior Member

Thanks for the help!

I was thinking of getting that Harbor Freight one.... Thats probably the best idea, boy are the prices piling up :D (but then again, Ill get a winch I can use all year and a plow for 1/3 of the price of a new one:))

nice, it will be good to have all that clearence.

what fog lights do you have? they look really nice, especially where you mounted them.

19. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

it is nice to have a winch. incase you ever go riding by yourself and you get stuck. its better then trying to lift your quad lol. like I said I had one on my old quad 2000 arctic cat 400 2x4 for a 45" plow. and it worked very well. was fast and has more pull power to it then my 3000lb warn.

20. Zach

Zach Senior Member

awesome, and just incase any of you were wondering... here is my Recon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]