1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Closing old threads????

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Frozen001, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Have any of the moderators thought of closing really old treads for further response??? I have seen many treads that are 2 to 3 years old and then all of a sudden a new guy responds to the question. Just a suggestion that maybe there should be a set time(2 months maybe), before the thread is close for further replies. Chances are if the question is not answered by the the poster is long gone or forgot about the post.

2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I think that's a good idea too. I've been fooled by that myself a few times, you have to check those dates! I don't see any sense in being able to reply to a 2 or 3 year old thread, or in by doing so it's all of a sudden back at the top of the message board, giving the impression it's new.
    Setting some sort of time limit to respond makes sense. Either that or delete old threads altogether after they've been inactive for a certain amount of time.

3. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

How about this. This is my second year of plowing and I have been doing searches and all that fun stuff on here. Instead of getting rid of those "old threads" how about putting them in a forum for newbies. All the information is helpful to the new guys. Then if the new guys have a question then they can post it in the appropriate spot without bringing up the "old thread". The forum could be locked so no new posts could be put in there. Just my two cents worth.

JP

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't delete old threads, one of the best features of this site is being able to do a search and get the information you need. Some of the best information on Plowsite is from members who don't post here anymore. Most threads still have valuable information even if they are 3 years old.

5. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Yes, you two guys have a good point there.
    I agree, keep the old threads accessible by search so they can be read, just fix them so they can't be added to after a reasonable amount of time. That way they won't end up at the top of the board looking like a new thread.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What if there's good info on that thread? Are you going to start a new thread with a link to an old thread rather than just bumping it up? It's not that difficult to look at at the date is it?

7. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

It's not difficult to look at the date, you have a point too. I just think it's confusing if you just didn't happen to make a point of looking at the dates, which I don't always do. I also think new should be separate from old, regardless of the quality of the content.
    Think of this forum as a virtual newspaper or magazine. There may be tons of great information in previous issues of real publications, but we all know that if you missed them when they were on the newstand, then you have to search the publisher's archives to retrieve older material. The new issues only contain current information, which hopefully is also great in it's own right.
    Think of how confusing it would be if every new issue of "Time" included all the great articles from issues past. You wouldn't be able to lift it. I was kind of thinking the same thing might apply to the server for this site, but since I don't know anything about it's capacity, maybe it doesn't matter.
    That's the way I look at it anyway, I don't expect every member will agree, it's JMO.

8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

one could color code the old threads that are over 3 months old, other then that leave them as they are.

9. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Keep them OPEN!!!

I just got done complaining about this EXACT practice over at The Diesel Place. (they closed threads after a short period of time) Search for an important topic.......read the thread (sometimes multiple pages) and go to add or ask a related question in it and you cant. If you could, it would then email notify all original posters to get their latest shake on the topic.

COLOR coding would be good to indicate an older thread for those not noticing the date.

Every now and then things like this pop up. Just the other day I did a search and came up with a thread by EricELM. I was like..... :angel: then I noticed the date.

RIP Eric. :salute:

10. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I do under stand that the older treads may contain good information, it is just that sometimes it can be a pain in the a$$ if you someone moves up a really ong tread that is 3 years old...

Why cant you just creat a new tread about the topic if you really want to add some input on it or have more questions??

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

So, your saying to just start a new duplicate thread, and then personally, (by hand)go back and email all original members in the original thread and ask them to comment again on your new thread?

Nah....

I see where your coming from by rehashing an ancient thread, reading 1/2 way through before noticing that it was a Jan 2000 thread. But, by keeping it all in one makes it easier for a future search.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly. There are enough duplicate threads. You have a better chance of getting help from the original posters than by just starting another.

So it's info from a year or more ago, is that really a problem?

Color coding, would be a good idea.

13. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

There is tons of good info. in those old threads. Keep them open. Maybe Sean could just lock them down so they can't be responded to?

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

NO!

Thats what we're talking about. LEAVE THEM OPEN.

15. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I do not see how reopening an old tread is better than creating a new one. Lets take a thread that is 3 years old.....say it had 30 responses generated over 5 days, some of them lengthy, I respond to this message today, and it generates 30 more responses again over 5 days, most of the time just rehashing what was already said because lets face it most peoples views will not change. Now there are 60+ responses to one thread that spans 3 which contains mostly duplicated information. I just do not see the real gain from keeping the tread alive.

Like I said before I think the old messages are valuable, and should be kept, I was just thinking it would be less annoying to lock threads after a specified time.

The reason I started this tread is because I noticed some people actually answering questions from posts 1,2,3, etc. years ago...

How about this.. can there be a warning that tells you you are bout to reply to an old thread... Lets face it, how often do you look at the post date on the tread when you are reading it. I for one read the "new posts" most of the time, and do not even look at the date.

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Different strokes..... :)

17. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I think it is time we get some input from one of the moderators on what is actually possible??? no since continuing if they do not provide some sort of input....

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I, as a long standing, founding member, I feel that locking threads for future additional posts would go against what the forums were originally started for almost 5 years ago.

If something isn't broke, don't fix it.