1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Close call (long post)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJ Contracting, Feb 16, 2007.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I had noticed a poping noise from the drivers side fender (on the 99 truck) the last time we plowed (02/14/07), anyway before i could plow that night I ended up replacing the starter ( the cable from the solinoid to the main body of the started was burnt through), then after 6hrs.of plowing I parked the truck for awhile. then I had to go and plow out my in-laws house and the truck would not start, checked it out and the altenator went bad. I thought I had a ground problem, so I looked for any bad grounds, anyway I had found the ground cable to the hood was bad and the ground on the plow motor was loose, so I fixed them and closed the hood, to my surprise the truck started to smoke (where theres smoke theres fire) from the drivers side fender and under the hood. Well what I found was the plow power cable from the positive side of the battery to the pump solinoid was grounding out on the hood spring when the hood was closed (i did not install the plow) anyway after removing the cable I was able to hook the truck battery cables back up, and go buy a new cable. I installed the new cable and routed it a different way, anyway all is good now, and when I get my camera back I post some pictures.
  2. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

At least you caught it before you went inside and got a call from the nieghbors. :)
  3. DJ Contracting

You know when people say let it burn I always thought that (it's paid off and would have been nice having insurance money) but my first reaction was to put out the fire
  4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Darn natural instinct.

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Go after the guys that installed it:realmad:
  6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I here what you are saying. My last truck ended up blowing the fuel regulator and spilled gas all over the engine compartment and you know what happened next. My first reaction was put it out so I did. Then after the fire department left I thought I should have let her burn. But of coarse it was winter and snowing so I would have been s.o.l. Steve
  7. DJ Contracting

I don't know if they would do anything when I bought the truck it already had the plow on plus it only cost $53.00 and my time to fix.
  8. DJ Contracting

Yeah if wasn't for all the accounts we have I would have liked to let it go and end up with a new truck, but I didn't want to be with out a plow for any length of time.
  9. JSLandscaping

JSLandscaping Junior Member

I had a close call too back when i was 16. The fuel line goin into the fuel rail on my RAM 2500 had a crack in it and started to leak. I was up at a TGI fridays that night with my girlfriend at the time. After we got done eating we jumped in the truck and i started it up so it would warm up. next thing you know it shut down and smoke came out from under the hood. so i jumped out and told her to get out and popped the hood, and next thing you know there are flames burnin on the air cleaner. Like an idiot, i thought i could blow the fire out cause it wasnt that serious so i leaned in and tried to blow it out as if it were a candle. Dumb thing to do, it gave 0xygen to the fire and it blew up in my face, burning most of my facial hair off, then my firefighter training kicked in and i ran into the resturuant, grabbed the fire extinghisher and ripped it out of the wall, brakcet and all, ran back out, pulled the pin on the fly and put the fire out. This all happend within about 45 seconds. so not that much damage was done. the manager came out wonderin why there was a new hole in the wall of the fridays because when i pulled the fire extinghiser i took the bracket that holds it to the wall as well, so i had some drywall with me. lol. needless to say now all of my trucks have extinguishers in them and i pay much more attention to and smells like gas....someone was lookin out above for me that day.

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

It is definetly a natural instinctive reaction to fire. My old chevy went up in flames and I urinated on it to keep it from burning to the ground. Ofcourse the urine did nothing but I did manage to salvage it by running to the closest house and grabbing a garbage can of water. Looking back, that SOB shouldve burned.
  11. DJ Contracting

I don't know if I would have urinated on it seeing how it was an electrical fire.