1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clogged Tailgate sander

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sonnyny, Dec 16, 2004.

1. sonnyny

sonnyny Junior Member
    from vermont

Just picked up a Buyers Tailgate Sander that reccomends using rock salt and alike products. It has a short auger. The sand I am using continues to clog the hole to the spreader. I know I need to use very dry sand but is there a solution to using damp clumping sand? I have seen vibration kits. Do they work? I would appreciate any reccomendations.
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

First off i have never used one of these salters. I have many years experience with salters and IMO this type of salter will never spread sand well. We have even had problems with the V box salters if we leave the inverted V in and the SALT is wet. As you drive around everything packs and does not want to come out. Those salters are for bagged material only.
  3. Porkchop

Porkchop Junior Member

I had the same problem with my Meyer Mini Jr. trying to spread damp salt. It just kept bridging up. I put a Karrier Vibrator on it and all works great. I just spread 1/2 ton of Salt and some Anti-Skid this morning and both materials are wet and the vibrator worked like a charm. I didn't have to get out of the truck once. I got the vibrator right from Karrier. Great product and easy to install. Check out their web site - www.karrierco.com
  4. grubenator

grubenator Junior Member
    from wi,mn

salt and sand freeze up

i have recently bought the meyer mate talegate sander/salter it has a viberator it works awsome i put about 150 bags os salt thur it to day i highly recomend it thanks grubenator
  5. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Karrier is a sponsor here in the upper right hand corner,their vibrator kit is worth every penny.
  6. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Pleasure to Help!

It's our pleasure to help you guys in the field. Seeing posts like the ones above lets me know that we are going a good job.

With the Sure-Flow brand of vibrators we have been able to overcome the high priced negative stigma that was always associated with vibrator kits. But you guys need to beware. When you ask your local distributor for a vibrator be sure to ask for a Sure-Flow by Karrier or you'll pay too much. We're aggressively trying to meet the needs of distributors by providing reasonable quantity/ pricing levels and we don't require them to stock product. If you can't find a distributor you can order on-line at www.karrierco.com or call us at 800-709-4434 or 330-823-9597. Orders received by noon are generally shipped that day. Orders received after noon are shipped the next day.

We've expanded the Sure-Flow brand to include a vibrator kit for every type of spreader on the market. Our Sure-Flow Z-200 Twin is excellent for v-box spreaders and if you're adding a second vibrator to a plastic slide-in spreader you can use our High Performance Sure-Flow kit.

While you're on our website check out the Omega spinner motor controller for tailgate spreaders. If you need a new controller for your tailgate spreader you'll be impressed with the Omega.