1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Climate control

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Aug 29, 2008.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys I was looking at my buddies truck today (04 silverado) and he was asking me to look at why his strobes aren't working, (it was a ground). The strobes turn on with the key in the "on" position. I had the key on for pry 5 min total getting everything back to how it was, went to turn the key off, and the blower motor for the climate control wouldn't turn off. It finally stopped after about 5 min of running without the key on or in the igniton. We went to turn the truck back on to see if the climate control would work, and noting at all. It shows whats on and everything (digital controller) and there are no fuses poped, but thers no air, heat or defrost coming out of the vent, and the motor isn't turning, cause we can't here it. WHATS WRONG?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The digital HVAC can do some strange things at times when the key is left in the run position for an extended period of time. They can actually set false HVAC codes at times due to this.

Disconnect the battery (s) for at least 30 minutes and retry it.

If it still doesn't work correcly you'll need to do some further diagnosis. Usually the failed component is the blower motor module (called a HVAC processor). And when it fails will cause the blower motor to do exactly what your describing...from constant fan to no fan at all.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Thanks B&B I will try that, and see what happens. The key was pry left in the run position for 5 min at most. But I will try it and if it works I will let ya know. And if not I will let ya know. Thanks again.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I am not sure whats going on with that thing. When I went to Illinos the other day his truck was at my house overnight, andyesterday I went to work on it, so I started it to move it into the shop, and the ac worked fine, but when I shut it off the blower motor was still running. I think it is some sort of module or something.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with either that or a faulty connector plug at the HVAC processor (most call it a blower resistor).

The connector as well as the processor is located in the pass side of the HVAC box behind and below the glove box. Pull the plastic hush panel down under the pass side of the dash. You should see the processor attached in the bottom of the HVAC box, should have two small screws in it. Disconnect the wiring connector from it and check it for any signs of melting or excessive heat damage. These trucks are known to melt the connector plugs and cause problems like this.

If the plug looks good, then more that likely it's the HVAC processor itself thats bad. They will stick in the "on" position and cause the blower motor to run continuiously...or stick "off" and not run at all.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Thanks B&B, I will relay this to my buddy, and if I don't get screwed on mowing this week, I might just look at it for him if time allows.