1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clients That Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CAT 245ME, Jan 17, 2016.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I had my first complaint this past storm with a new client that signed up to have her driveway cleared with my tractor/blower.

The tractor made the first pass late in the afternoon (this past Wednesday 8" storm), tractor returned to the property between 4 a.m & 5 a.m the following morning, removed the windrow left by the city. Tractor then returned after 9 a.m to complete the final pass, except the client did not move their vehicle to the curb to allow the tractor to make the final pass.

It is in the contract that vehicles must be moved to the curb by no latter than 9 a.m Mon to Fri (10 a.m on weekends) to allow the final cleanup.

She clearly did not read the contract she signed, but she still argued with me, telling me it's illegal to park to the curb in which I replied that it's illegal to park from 10 p.m to 7 a.m (no overnight parking), she had no response except for "it's bad business".

Why can't people take the time to read before they sign?

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like she's just going to be a pita! People any more are just concerned with themselves. So far we've had nothing but storms that start at 3am, heavy snow, very windy etc. and no one seems to understand that. We've had a customer for years that's a super nice guy, never complains about prices BUT he's the biggest pain in my ars come winter!!!!! He decided to do a seasonal contract with us this season and apparently he thinks because he already paid our trucks are on a retainer just for his driveway. We also picked up a new customer this year and again, nice guy but has the same mind frame that it's all about him. I finally had to tell him after he called and text me several times to either quite calling me and trust that we've already been there or are out or find another provider. Honestly I quite taking people's crap and simply say if you don't like our services or policies find someone else. It's stressful enough out there and I certainly don't need some nit whit that's been sleeping in their cozy bed not having a clue what we're doing out there telling me how we should be doing things or questioning me. I'd broom her

3. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

It is company policy for my guys to read out the contract to the customer before they sign. They do it in a way to make sure that all clients are aware of our policies - we have a similar policy to you and have had no complaints because our clients are aware.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I think that's key! Sitting down with them and going over it explaining things. When I do that there's never an issue, just wish I had more time to do so.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Reading and understanding and reality...... Ya, good luck!

Some people never get it!

6. CAT 245ME

I had notified the lady last night that I myself would bring the tractor by this morning at 10 a.m, when I arrived the car was still in the drive and I had to go to the door to get her to move the car. Which resulted in her venting even more.

I can honestly say that she is only my third complaint in almost 15 years of snow removal. Her neighbor has been with me for a decade now, always has the vehicles moved for the final cleanup.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

before she becomes a major pain maybe suggest she might be happier with another contractor. Then give her the number of your nemesis.

8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Never flip out on a customer. Just politely explain how it works. If the cars in the way again, then send a letter and cancel her services.

9. First Responder

First Responder Senior Member
    from 48015

Just cancel her, not worth your time!

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What Pat said.

11. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

X2 on this one. Last I checked, my 7yr old granddaughter can read pretty good, so if this lady is old enough to drive, she too should be able to. If she CHOOSES NOT TO, not your problem.

12. Mark Oomkes

Not sure aboot up in NB, but down here the light winter seems to have caused a lot of folks to change their expectations for services.

Had one that has a steep drive and at the last minute she figures oot she can't make it up the hill to make her flight. We hadn't plowed because we hadn't hit the 1.5" trigger. Not that plowing would have helped her make it up the hill, but it was done by the time I got there.

While in the area, had another state she had 4" in her driveway and ALL her neighbors had been plowed. We do 4 of her 6 neighbors and hadn't plowed them either. I measured in 2 different spots exactly 1".

Another claimed she had been missed after our 3-4" snowfall. We were going around a second time and she had less than an inch.

One said their drive hadn't been touched in 3 days, yet I plowed it 3 times in those 3 days, and another operator once.

Close to that one, the dimwit had removed our marker, but I remembered the address so I got it. It also served to mark the edge of the driveway. I got aboot 4' of lawn. The next day the marker was back at the edge of the drive. But then they said I was 47" away from one part and 60" from another. I took pictures that show I was within 18" of the garage door.

So far, we have only checked those complaints if we were in the area, no special trips. The others we returned the next night when we were oot plowing. Next person that lies to me is going to get an invoice for a special trip. I won't if we should have serviced, but I am not going to be pushed around.

13. CAT 245ME

Our winter has been pretty much slow going, before last weeks storm I had two weeks off since the previous event. Looks like it could turn out to be two week gap to the next one. Sure does hurt trying to add more work for the tractor/blower.

Mark, I've had a couple clients go out and move my markers, one in which resulted in lawn damage. After I put the markers in place, a client decided that the area I marked off to clear was not wide enough to there liking, so they moved the markers over about three feet, first snow fall tractor backs in (JD 6105D) lines up the right side with the markers and tractor pressed the lawn down quite a bit since the ground was pretty soft. Client admitted to moving the markers.

But as Forrest Gump said "Stupid is as stupid does".

14. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

This is exactly whats happening, They think because of the unusual amount of low snowfalls you owe them something. Clients signed per trip are not saying a thing and have not been serviced once. We are expected to get 12'' today and tomorrow, Almost happy maybe it will keep the cry babies and unreasonable quiet and back to reality.

I got one guy ready to crack me, :eek: The reality of it he is just a uneducated dumb A$$ trying to show authority. 30 years back I would of already took care of him, :laughing: Unfortunately the laws are a lot more strict now and don't need the trouble and at my age I can consider the source most of the time without cracking. On site anyways. :laughing:

15. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Next time you get a call saying they have 4" of snow and you go out and prove its only an 1" you look her right in the eye and say I guess your husbands been lying to you all these years.....:rolleyes:

16. Mark Oomkes

I suggested to my wife she tell her that, she didn't think it was a good idea.

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Probably not the first time you heard that.....nor the last.....:laughing:

18. Mark Oomkes

That's what happens when I have so many ideas. Lol

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

LO............L works for me