1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clients questioning Snow Fall amount?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnboy30, Feb 4, 2005.

1. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 Member

Here is what happened to me yesterday. I received a call from one of my residentials about my invoice for the last big storm we had in Northern NJ a few weekends ago. My contracts are generally set-up in increments and for this storm I was at each of my residentials twice between Saturday and Sunday. I billed for each visist, which is stated in the contract. Client agrees with this but based on the total accumulation of snow that was listed in the newspaper (for a town that is 10 miles away), he is saying I should have charged for 2 visits but in the lesser bracket of inches. Any thoughts? By the way we are talking a savings for the client of $30 if I use his thoughts. :confused:
  2. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

How many inches?

What was the exact snow fall, in inches, on this one account? Whatever that was, that is what you should charge him for. Do you actually get out and measure the account, or just guess?
  3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I get out and measure each place before I drop a bllade. In the Columbus area, and I'm sure other places as well, you can have different amounts of snow anywhere you go. Plus you could have drifting and whatever else. I suppose that you could take a ruler and your camera and stick the ruler in the snow and then take a picture to protect you, then send the picture along with the bill. This of course would add to the price as far as I'm concerned, all the extra time and expense.
  4. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

Don't give in. Next time he will do the same. Unless this is a good customer of yours and you want to keep him happy.
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Unless you love this customer hold your ground- he's about to introduce you to his PITA side. I have 1 customer that wants me to plow but when I do she's never thrilled about paying so she wants me to wait for her call to plow. That big storm she called me at 2am to ask me to plow- I had already been there.
    She called again at 8AM saying I hadn't been there and she needed to be plowed- I had already been there AGAIN.
    I came by later in the day and clened it out at her request for the 3rd plow. She gave me hell on the phone saying she was stuck in her driveway (she wasn;t she has a 4x4 jeep) and she hadn;t been plowed. I gave it right back to her telling her I had already been there 2 times and plowed the lot (business/house) each time before she had called I just didn;t plow the sidewalk in front like I normally do because there was 5+ feet of snow there from the road- she responded by saying I need to talk to whoever takes my messages.

She's supposed to call my cell phone not my home phone (and wake up my family at 2am) and she's also not supposed to be parked where she was. She'll pay the full amount even tho she'll try talking me down and next year she'll say she wants to go back to on call. This cycle repeats with her every 2-3 years. If she wasn't a long time customer I would have dropped her for this aggrivation- I'm half the cost of her last plow guy (that was 5 years ago too) and I'm not cheap.
  6. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

just remember this

It is all about the money. hold your ground. I suspect this customer will not be on your list next season. I have decided not to drop people in the middle of a season because that would be a little hash. but some people will not be on the signup list for next year. they need to pay it or not this is not a yard sale!
  7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Yea, don't you just love the "I'll call" people. They want to wait until the last snow flake has fallen, then want you to plow 10" of snow for the 2" price. They either pay or I will not plow or will not be back anytime soon. There are too many people that give you the charge of " just handle it please and give me a bill", to mess around with the cheapskates and the people that want something for nothing and want to get into your shorts.
  8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Dont let the pita pull food off of your table. You did the work now he needs to pay, its that simple...Rob
  9. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping Junior Member

Show no mercy.
  10. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

11. TSG

TSG Member

Sorry about your problem. What is the discrepency in the amount of inches?
  12. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Politely inform the customer that at Saturday at xam you took a measurement of his driveway at blank inches and on Sunday at xam a measurement of blank inches was taken. Also let him know that you use actual accumlations per account as each account is different.