1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Client doesnt understand how to remove snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rich414, Dec 31, 2010.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I have a client that has a vacation home in our neighborhood. he doesn't want me to plow on a regular basis, but he packs the snow with his 4 wheeler, then he drive his truck on it for a 1/2 mile off the main road back to his house.
    He now has a 4wheeler stuck with a busted CV joint, a ford f250 buried, and a 4runner buried and his son needs to get out tomorrow to head back to Houston..

Below is an e-mail that I received from him this morning with directions on how to remove the snow from his driveway...I replied back saying "this is NOT possible as the bobcat breaks through the crust and get high centered on the snow....also this is probably a 5 hour DIG"...as his driveway is road base and is up hill!

I have repeatedly told him that you cant pack the snow and expect me to come a rescue you when you get stuck, as you are today.

What do I tell him so that he understands you cant pack the snow into the driveway.?
    Is there any chance I could hire you and/or Richie to plow or snowblow my driveway late tomorrow? The kids need to get out Saturday morning. With some snow predicted Friday, late Friday should (hopefully) leave the driveway passable the next morning.

It occurred to me that there is a compacted layer that's 4-6 inches from the bottom. If you can set your machine about 4 inches off the ground, it would be protected from the rocks, but would leave some compacted snow for them to drive on.

What do you think?
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I guess it all depends on how packed that snow is.
  3. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Bring in a dozer!
  4. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

well if you do it the way the customer wants, I am sure it will not be to there liking, so you will get fussed at.
    If you do not do it, I am sure they will fuss at you, but at least you will not go through the trouble of trying to do something with it.

make up some excuse on how you can not get to him and let him call someone else.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would pass on it
  6. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I did exaclty that, but i was a little rude... i suggested that he gets out the phone book and start calling snow removel companies with equipment, not a p/u truck...
  7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I use a Case backhoe at $150/hr. 2 hr min. Then upsell a maintenance program.
    Most of my clientel are from the city and have weekend properties. NOT COTTAGES by any stretch of the imagination. They all want service on Friday before they come up.... not gonna save them money by costing myself. Keep it clean, you can get in, your oil/gas provider can get in and the fire dept can get in if god forbid they have too. None of them seem to like my emerg service pricing vs.on call service pricing .
  8. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Exactly. Man the price REALLY goes up when the customer tries to tell US how to do OUR job.

A whole truckload of salt and Markus' backhoe oughtta do it! BUT IT"S GONNA BE SPENDY!!!!payup
  9. call a tow truck or get a long braided steel cable yank him out charge him a few hundred n sub out to a company with a loader lol
  10. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

He did get a guy to BLOW his driveway outt. He has a s220 bobcat and a hi-flow blower...he got $150 an hour, and it took him 2 or 3 hrs, When he was done, he said that he was NEVER going to do that driveway again....and would tell the owner that you CANT leave snow on the driveway...Unfortuntally i dont think that the owner will get the message.
  11. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i wouldn't have said never again....... but i'd have told him it'll cost $250/hour next time

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i would charge a bunch and just sub it out
  13. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

Not to start a war...

Skid steer loader? No way! Compact track loader? No sweat wesport

We do a few larger resi's on the edge of town where the owners like to run their snowmobilies in and out of the garage. Just leave the blower a couple of inches off the ground and have at it, it's slow going but you get the exact result they want, a clear drive with a light base they can still run the toys over.
  14. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Plow with the...stop me if you've heard this already. It's like concert arenas that don't want any services unless they have a show coming up. But then they freak out when they get the bill for several trucks and a boatload of salt, because their lot has 8" of frozen snow & ice on it from not being serviced.

I would send him a craigslist ad for snow removal equipment, and wish him the best of luck.

15. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Don'tcha love their faces when they see the bill? "Are you kidding me with this bill?"

Do I look like I'm in a joking mood? Lol!
  16. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I would tell him ( in a nice way) this is the way it has to be and if you can't come to an agreement then tell him sorry but you can not do a half ass job and he will have to find someone else! You have your reputation to think about and your wallet. No one else is going to think about you.
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

$125.00 an hour, port to port, minumum four hours for a skid loader.
  18. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

, The guy that blew him out, a few days ago, told him that the snow has got to come off the road base so that the road base will freeze. I had a discussion yesterday with the property owner, HE STILL DOESNT UNDERSTAND REMOVING THE SNOW. I said when i am plowing the subdivision road, i will also plow his road ,as I have done in the past, for $100hr from the time i enter your property till i leave your property. If you don't let me plow on an as needed basis, then it going to cost you $150.hr from the time I leave the garage till I get back., and once everything else is completed in the subdivision. He said he is OK with the $150 hr. He said that he will call me from Houston and tell me when he wants his road plowed. and he added leave 3-6" of Snow on the road....I am just going to do as needs to be done...

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldnt do it. some time its better to walk away and if you decide to better get paid up front
  20. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Agree, but the $$$ are nice and I am not worried about him paying me, He always paid after recieving an invoice...
    Not sure what I am going to do,
    His plow is a distructive plow to the equipment, and I ususally break a few crossovers on the chains, and the extra strain on the drive system of the machine. The risk of getting stuck increases... There is NO snow in the forecast for a week.