1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Client agrees to a per event plan but half the time driveway is already cleared..?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Exact Services, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

...either by himself or neighbor.

Charge client a call out fee...?
  2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

...... or drop them for wasting your time.
  3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

don't go unless called directly, if done charge him as he has already agreed to pay you when he called
  4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

You can only charge him if you have a written contract

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

fire the customer. sometimes you have to do it
  6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Have you talked to the customer about this?

Seems silly to post about it on here and you haven't even addressed it with the customer.
  7. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

A bit of history. I took an entire winter off to heal up from an injury. They hired someone else that wintet and he admitted that the neighbor would make a game to see if he could have the driveway cleared before the snow thrower guy showed up.

I'm going to offer to roll them over to flat rate snow and total lawn package with aps. If they don't accept the offer they will be dropped. I've gotten weary of the bean counter mentality.
  8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Triple the price.
  9. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I've ran across this a few times last year, either the kids did it or the neighbor was "just being helpful". I will write in my contracts for next year that there will be a fee if the driveway is done by the time I get there and I was not notified.
  10. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Ive had that happen before.

Drop them and move on.

Those type are not worth your time and will probably complain when you plow anyways.
  11. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Just talked to one of my accounts today about this. I told her were going to go on a "on call" bases now.

Problem solved.
  12. mud

mud Senior Member

It is right in my contract with residentials that they pay even if they cleared it themselves. I dedicate time and equipment to their driveway and only have so many I can do. I'll often waive it if they call before hand but if I make the drive over and find it cleared they get charged anyway. Most times unless I go right past to get to another one it takes just as much time to drive there if not more than it dose to clear it.
  13. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Here is an idea. put them on a 6" trigger. i have a few customers that either do not mind shoveling a couple inches, or have 4x4's. They only want me to come out when the snow piles up or we get 6 inch snowfalls.

maybe a good idea to charge a little more for these accounts.

just an idea.
  14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

NO. Why would you want to be on call for them?? If they don't want service every time it snows, find a client that does and fill that spot. You should be calling the shots, not them.

YES! That's how I did it and feel about it. Except the part about calling before hand...They are still getting billed, I need to make a certain amount of $$$ for every snowfall to pay the bills. If you want to do it yourself, then do it yourself every time.

NO! You can't make any money only doing it on 6"+ snowfalls. You gotta have all the 1-3" snows during the season to make money.
  15. birddseedd

very true. i only take on a few 6" trigger drives. I get a little more work on those days, but there is no way you could live off of them.
  16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I understand having one or two of them Bird, but when the neighbors see one person doing that, then they think it's a good idea too and soon more and more people want that option. I just didn't offer it, to much hassle.
  17. birddseedd

I can see how that could spiral. tho most new customers don't even seem to know what they want and i have to tell them what i do.
  18. mud

mud Senior Member

Eh for me I would just assume they do it themselves. I don't seek out residential work and its only for customers that give me work year round. That being said if any of them did it regularly they would get dropped. I would much rather push a parking lot than a tight drive anyday especially when I probably already have 8 hours plus in the truck before I even start to do driveways.

As for six inches plus for the trigger? I dont think so unless they want to pay a lot more $$$$. and get done the next day. I dont have time for that crap on my regular route and it would qualify as on call and emergency rates.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  19. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have to agree with charging them just the same, until they freak and drop you. Like has been said, you count on that income, you plan on it. You might actually turn work away because you want to provide top quality service to your existing clients. It's not right for them to contract with you and then see to it you never do any work.

I would, however, call and explain it to them before I sent any invoices.

Another trick I would pull, because I am like that, is to drop the blade into the banking on the way past the neighbor's driveway, and leave them a 3' windrow of solidified concrete snow..as a thank-you.
  20. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Charge them your full price and tell them the neighbor may play games but you don't.

They will jerk you around as long as u let them.