1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clicking solenoid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by frozen1, Nov 5, 2004.

1. frozen1

frozen1 Junior Member

I have just put a new solenoid on my truck to replace the old rusty one.. It is for a Meyers 6.5 e57, only has 3 wires, battery, motor and switch. It is brand new and sometimes it just clicks, sometimes it works fine. It did seem like the plow was raising slowly though.. What could be wrong ?? I read some other posts and they mentioned grounding, there is no ground wire on this one, how do I ground it ? It is bolted into the same holes in my fender the other one was bolted to..

Any ideas ? :confused:
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

3. chevyshovelin

chevyshovelin Junior Member

dissconect all wires ,,grease them,,then tighten back on real hard,,sometimes a good smack with a hammer works on meyers.
  4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

It would be my bet your looking for a bad ground...Rob
  5. frozen1

frozen1 Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I cleaned all the wires and connectors under the hood but I neglected to clean the power and ground at the motor.. :blush2:
    I will start there.. Also, I read somewhere that the the solenoid is grounded by the base plate contact to the truck.. Is that true ? Does it have to be on clean metal surface ? Mine is on the passenger side fender but I greased underneath thinking it would be a great rust spot...
  6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Not sure on that one, but to check it out run a wire from the mounting bolt to the - side of the battery. uasualy if it clicks it is ok. hook a test light or volt meter up to the motor side then hit the switch.

Good luck and be sure to let us know what you find out

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

The solenoid must be grounded. This is usually done by running a ground wire from the mount bolt to a good ground on vehicle. It is possible that you have lost the ground because of too much grease under it.
  8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

clicking ??

clicking is normal if its noy working 9 times outta ten its the main power going to pump motor . my pump does this every year!! any guys got a good solution to this cable . i think i am gonna clean up my unit real well this year an try to use my boot over the pump i just cant get that rubber over the pump an motor an then get it all snapped together any tricks ??
  9. frozen1

frozen1 Junior Member

Bolts, I think you had it right.... I took it off again, cleaned all the grease off and shined the spot on the fender, put it back on with a shiney new screw and it works.. I also cleaned the contacts outside, the ground on the motor was really bad.
    Thanks all, great site, I learn something everytime I check in..
  10. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Glad to be of some help.

Drop out sometime and see the Blizzard line of plows and also the Snowman rear mount pull plows.
  11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I was thinking its the ground on the motor. Even if its ok, Id still shine her up and coat it with dielectric grease just to prevent any future problems...Rob