1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clicking or Clattering?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Stark_Enterprises, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Ok Guys heres the NEWEST Situation,

On my 02 Cummins I've got this clicking or clattering noise comming from I think under the engine some where, because i dont really hear it when i lift the hood. I had a Remanufactured Tranny installed about a month or so ago, and im not sure if this has anything to do with it, but i dont remember hearing anything like this before The dealer replaced the tranny. I thought i heard alittle something at first but it was very hard to deturmine if it was something wrong or was just the cooler going on and off. But it has gotten louder over a couple weeks and now i can tell its not the coolers because i can hear the coolers going on and off like normall and still hear this odd sound coming from somewheres? Jezze i hope its something simple like a clamp being loose or something, but i always fear about it being the worst like something inside the engine or the new tranny. Im going to be bringing to the dealer tommrow, but to be honest i look forward to your responses more than i do the Dealers! Let me know Guys!
  2. Stark_Enterprises

20 Views and no replys??? WOW
  3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

welcome to the world of a smoker mine has a clatter too but i think it has somthing to do with 6 pistons bangin 'round :)

butt really, can you tell what part of the engine it is coming from, if you have a stethascope (like the doc's) put it around on the poss. prob. areas or take a long screwdriver and stick the handle in your ear and touch the shaft to various parts of the motor or tranny.

let me know what you find
  4. Check any heat sheilds around the tranny, starter, floorpan etc.. It is possible that when they replaced transmission they had to loosen, bend, or take off a heat sheild and then didn't get it back in place properly. Sounds would be right under your cab and you could hear, but may be harder to hear with the hood up.

Hope this helps, :drinkup:
  5. Stark_Enterprises

All right . Thanks guys , hey I asked a tech. at proably the best Dodge Dealer in Connecticut (Holley Dodge in Middeltown CT) and he said With a lot of confidence that he thought it needs a valve Adjustment. So Its Going in Tommorow morning to be checked out! Thanks Again. Rock on :drinkup:
  6. Stark_Enterprises

Hey got It back today, Turns out IT was the new tranny, the Torque Converter bolt was loose, so they retapd it and all is well! Thanks Again Guys
  7. Glad to hear it, Keep on Plowing!!!!! :drinkup: