1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clicking noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by supersteve1191, Sep 11, 2009.

1. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

I have a 96 silverado and its making a clicking noise, it sounds like the blinkers on but its clearly not. It doesn't do it all the time just kinda when ever it feels like it. and its not coming from under the hood or anything like that, its right in front of me in the dash, at least thats what it sounds like. Any body had this problem or know the solution?

2. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

do you have an ignition interlock on your truck?

3. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

how can you tell

4. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

a breathalyzer? if so no

5. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

that is what i ment haha. than i have no idea.

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I have the same problem on my 04... Its just a real real suddel clicking noise it only makes sometimes.... If you just turn the key to on with out the truck running sometimes you can hear it to.... Luckly I got a diesel so it kinda makes it disappear and im not ready to go tearing my dash apart in order to find it....

Glade Im not the only one who has this problem

7. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Crank the stereo and it goes away. :D

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Probably what you're hearing is a defective turn/flasher module clicking as it's located at the bottom of the convenience center just tot he left and above the brake pedal. Easy enough to check, pop the module out of the convenience block and see if the sound stops. If it does you've found your culprit.

Yours is likely a different issue and can be one of two things. First one is you many be hearing one of the HVAC actuators that move the various blend doors in the hVAC box clicking as they travel while doing their "checks" that they do for sufficient travel each time the key is turned forward. Will also do it randomly while the key is in the run position. There is a HVAC module flash update to address it so if it annoys you, a quick trip to the dealer is in order. Only takes a few minutes.

Second may be that you're hearing the stepper motors in the instrument cluster than functions the gauge needles. Very very common on the '03-'05 trucks.

Neither sounds indicate an issue as long as everything works correctly...just more of a nuisance than anything.

9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

right on, thanks B&B :drinkup:

10. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

is this convenience center in a fuse panel, at least looks like it. I think I found it but it doesn't want to come out.

11. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Just put your fingers together and pull ...HA HA !!!

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it's similar in it's appearance but is where all the various relays and main wiring connections are junctioned inside the truck below the dash. Flasher should be in the bottom right hand corner of it.

13. supersteve1191

supersteve1191 Member

thanks b&b, thats exactly what it was

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear Steve. Love those easy fixes. :drinkup: