1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clicking noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dockboy19, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Dockboy19

Dockboy19 Junior Member

Gang need your help/input. Have a 1999 Tahoe, took my plow off last weekend. Went to drive it yesterday and i notice a clicking noise up front. It is only out of the left side. Only thing that comes to mind is a bearing, the noise was not there with the plow on. Nothing has ever been replaced up front and has 125K on the ticker.

Thanks,
    Jake

2. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Does it do it especially when turning could be a bad CV joint

3. Dockboy19

Dockboy19 Junior Member

it is present all the time, gets quieter at higher speeds ( or I cant hear it)

4. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

FWIW

My 04 HD 2500 front u joint made a ticking sound till I had it changed

now its quiet

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hubs not disengaging/

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It doesn't have hubs......:dizzy:

Check CV shafts and wheel bearings.

7. grandview

Guess I'm not up on all that fancy Chevy stuff. So how does it go into and out of 4 wheel?

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The transfer case works just like your Ford, there is a central disconnect in the front axle that works similarly to lock out hubs.

GM has been using this setup on pickups for 23 years.

9. grandview

Then that's what stuck.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Taking the plow off has increased the CV operating angles. That's probably where the trouble is.

11. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I have had that same damn clicking noise in my 94 k-blazer for 3 years. Replaced bearings, cv joints, front diff, upper and lower A frame bushings, and the actuator. Ck'd for cracked frame near A frames and still the same noise especially in 4 wd. Gave up on it. When it finally breaks I'll fix it.