1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clicking at the motor area only!!!!

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by tpiper, Dec 18, 2013.

1. tpiper

tpiper Member
    from kansas

ok fellow hiniker owners i need help please. i have read through the threads on here that i could find that described my problem and have tried all i can to get it working. any help would be greatly appreciated. i hooked up plow in november to make sure all was working only to find that with everything plugged in tightly and all cables hooked up to battery when i pushed buttons on controller all it would do is click. i cleaned all electrical connections, pulled electric motor off and cleaned it but still have nothing but clicking? im sure it is something simple but im obviously overlooking something. solonoid?
    it is a 8.5 v plow about 4 years old first time i have ever had a problem like this..any ideas or another area to check i would be very much appreciated. the plow is on a 99 gmc w3500 cabover. install on this truck last year and had a few wiring issues but figured that out and it worked flawlessley last season. i unhooked controller wire, positive and negative cables over the summer months and had them all wrapped in electrical tape until i put back together last month. i have tried to give as much info as i can think of.
    thanks in advance
    terry

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

The solenoid is on the truck, so if you clicking truly is at the pump motor than that wouldn't be it, but assuming the clicking is under the hood than that is the most likely option. To test it have someone hold the controller in any direction except down and then test for voltage (with a volt meter or test light) on the output side of the solenoid, if that is too hard to access or find just check for 12 volts on the power lug of the motor (but if you do that you have to back track all the way to the solenoid to eliminate the wires/connections). There is a good chance that the contacts inside the solenoid are corroded or burned and allowing power to travel to the pump motor.

If all this sounds like too much work, buy a solenoid and install it. You can get one from Hiniker, but any decent auto parts store should be able to find something that will work if you bring in the old one. If that isn't the problem you'll at least have a spare solenoid to keep in the truck, which I recommend anyway.

3. tpiper

tpiper Member
    from kansas

Thanks so much will check that out this evening. I appreciate the reply

4. tpiper

tpiper Member
    from kansas

finally found the problem, have been very busy and have called two dealers for help. one told me solonoid and the other told me a ground problem. i totally cleaned all my grounds, wires and battery cables and connections to no avail. i bought a new hiniker solonoid today and put it on tonight and that fixed the problem. truck and plow are all ready to go now and they are predicting snow tomorrow. thanks for the help and maybe this will helps someone down the road.