1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cleveland area contractos

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PTSolutions, Mar 2, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

we have never applied any ice control products to our lots, as they have not requested it, just occasionally when it was bad and they asked we used our earthway stainless walkbehind shooting cargill diamond bagged product.

anyways, i will be bidding on a few properties that is an almost guaranteed contract and they will be requiring ice control applications. i just wanted to know about how many times on average you guys are applying product during the season? these will be seasonal contracts, but i may be able to bill salt per app on a monthly basis.

the one account is a church that meets approx. 3 times per week and the other would be an HOA where i will only be doing the roads which is just one big loop and would maybe take 1/2 ton of salt.

i came up with an app price of 175 per ton and wanted to calc out a seasonal rate.
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

You are too low at $175 per ton spread. I get 3x that much per ton spread.
  3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

You get $450a ton spread......Wow...Im moving to Cleveland...:eek:
  4. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

You move here make all the money and theres nothing to do with it here...
  5. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Our average is 40 to 50 salt applications per season. Thats an average, it's been as low as 20 to as high as 70 apps.
  6. PTSolutions

well when you calc your bagged price out im sure it would be more per ton, but ill be spreading bulk and paying between 70-80 per ton, not $6 per 80lb bag.

does your contract dictate your salt applications? is it left to you as the contractor when to apply as conditions dictate, or do you apply after every plow? and if so whats your trigger?
  7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

he's spreading bulk. around here it is 75/ ton...so he's not too low...if your spreading BAGGED then yeah that would be low...i have a few on seasonal and i hate myself for it. my advice would be to try to get them per occurance...i know last year (08-09) we had 42 salts in on my seasonals...and my places are medical facilities and they are zero tolerance, so any little bit of accum we're spreading
  8. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

2in trig salt after every plow and you can fig 50 salts a year ez
  9. PTSolutions

ok, just curious cause our resis are on 2" trigger and we've only plowed 22 times this season. im wondering how it gets almost 2x that for salting, but im assuming you pre treat prior to storms as well right? say if the weather service says maybe 1" accumulation or sleet/freezing rain you go and hit the lots right?

the one account i will be bidding on they are going to show me the current contractors contract/service agreement so i know exactly what they are getting/paying for and i can offer the same service level or try and upsell
  10. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

you are right dont for get that salt can go from 65 ton 2 200 overnight
  11. PTSolutions

im right on my pretreating assumption and conditions?
    im planning on building a bin and ordering around 20 tons pre season.
  12. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Salting is at my discretion. I apply before an event and after plowing. I may have to apply several times during a freezing rain event. It all depends on the event.