1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clearlane. How well does it work?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JpLawn, Nov 12, 2010.

1. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I'm looking in to using clearlane this year and I would like some feed back about it. How well does it work? I did search it and didn't find much about it. Its almost $30 dollars a ton cheaper than Magic in my area. Any info would be a big help. Thanks

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I use Clearlane in all the yellow salt bins for my sites because it won't freeze.

Another advantage is that you can see where you've already spread it & it tends to work faster & last longer.

Heres some pics of an "extra" request we had for eliminating hard pack snow from a courtyard, that wasn't part of the contract.

courtyrd 007.jpg

courtyrd 009.jpg

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We use it on really cold nights on our commercial properties.
    Its a small price more to pay to ensure icy conditions are eliminated when regualr salting wont be as effective.
    Its well worth the money IMO.
    I agree $20 more a tnm is alot...but ask yourself how much a slip and fall claim would cost your business.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

And that might be the best drop spreader on the market Cre.

5. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

What kind of residual effect does it have? If you can use half as much salt what is the suggested application rate or what have you found to work for you. The Clearlane is $99 a ton and Magic is $130 a ton.

6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

We only use it, and I wouldn't say there is anything crazy different then salt except what Johnny said with the lower temps, a main thing is the colour. It sounds stupid, but colour is a great seller. You do get a tighter spread pattern with it though.

7. JohnnyRoyale

That undoubtably is the best drop spreader on the market.:drinkup:

8. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

So if there isn't anything that is crazy different from salt. Why do you only use it. Just for color? Color isn't going to make it less icy. Is it better than or equal to Magic?

9. Pristine PM ltd

Isn't that much more per yard, we have some interlock roadways, and colour sells. You missed my point there with the selling. It sells us that we use something special.

10. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Foo foo salt. The green salt puts more green in your back pocket eh Jon. I should switch to green instead of brown.

11. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I get the selling point of it. The customer can actually see it on the ground. but I'm not sell my special service. Maybe next year it will help me sell services. I'm trying to make my job easier as far as having to pretreat or make multiple visits to the sites to check for ice.

12. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

Pristine, you use it and does it work well to prevent black ice or refreeze?

13. Pristine PM ltd

I think it does better then salt, I would say it has a better residual effect, but I wouldn't bet money.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The customer doesn't have long to see that it is green. It will go white pretty fast. I have be challenged a few times if I actually put down clearlane or white salt.

15. JohnnyRoyale

From my experience...

Clearlane does have a more of residual effect than untreated salt. Any light skiffs, or snow blowing off rooftops and landing on treated areas will have a tendency to melt rather than turn to ice.

The colour means nothing to me or my clients, but then again, my client demographic is much different than Jon's.

We do fill our sidewalk salt boxes with them and use them on walks because it has less of a tendency to go rock hard and like I said before it works much better than stright salt at lower temperatures. A bonus is its residual effects...esp on sidewalks!

Like I said earlier, rock salt does it for us most of the time...but when temps drop to say anywhere below -15C we opt to spread Clearlane as it get the job done...and alot faster!

Some people claim they spread 20%-25% less product because its treated...I really cant attest to that as we use it only when its frigid out and I'm more concerned with restoring the pavement to wet and safe conditions than making sure the application rate is less than bulk salt. I would imagine it would be if used on warmer nights...but we dont.:drinkup:

16. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

The residual effect is what I'm looking for. Our temps range from 34 F days to 20-15 F at night. So times we hit the teens. I have a commercial property that is an hour from my shop that I want to be able to pre treat and have it last awhile in to the storm and maybe till the end. One guy will be there plowing all storm but that truck doesn't have a spreader. Is clearlane a good choice for this or should I go with Magic?

17. JohnnyRoyale

I'm happy with Clearlanes results for pretreating also. Can't comment about Magic as we've never used it.

18. Pristine PM ltd

I would agree with that. It does well pretreating.

19. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

we use something similar,and I will never use the brown magic again. Nothing like a client calling and asking why their lot and sidewalks looks like someone took a s h i t on it. their words.

20. Pristine PM ltd

I once was told that when we applied Thawrox, it looked like puke everywhere.