1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clearlane for sidewalks - Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by wizardsr, Oct 8, 2009.

1. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Long story short, I've grown sick of spending too much money on bagged deicers that make empty promises about their abilities, wont tell you that they're 99% rock salt, etc. Last 2 years I've been mixing my own dry product using halite and calcium flakes, and the end result works quite well, it's just a PITA to mix it and dump it in buckets for the boys to use. I've also used Magic, and it works alright, but at $15/bag, I'm spending way too much money. The supplier here started selling bulk clearlane a couple years ago (the green stuff), so I was thinking about getting a small load of it, and dumping it in buckets for the sidewalk crews to use. Anyone done this? Am I crazy? Am I going to end up a bunch of buckets with 50' salt blocks in each? Or will the clearlane stay wet and even like magic does in bags? Also, I assume clearlane is similar to magic in the respect that it's just a little wet, not enough to be clumpy, so hopefully it would spread from the sidewalk spreaders just fine (we've spread magic from them with no problems)...

Any thoughts?

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We use lots of Clearlane on our sidewalks. If you don't cover it in the pail it will go hard. We put ours in Rubbermaid bins. Most of our sites have salt boxes. It will go white pretty quick once it is down. We have had a few occasions where they thought we had put down white salt.

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Yup :laughing:

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Clearlane is pretty good stuff. I never saw a reduction in product used to as they claim, but it does work faster and at colder temps.

Can't remember the name of the stuff we started using last year. I'll PM you with it tomorrow. It's a great blend of foo foo dust and other proprietary ingredients that are guarded closer than Col Sanders fried chicken recipe. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

All we use is clearlane, and we have bucketed it. Worked great, saves alot of money. Have had people think it was salt though like Chris said.

6. Subicbay

Subicbay Junior Member

Whats the going rate for Clearlane? I never used it.

7. Mark Oomkes

It IS salt.

8. CSP#1

CSP#1 Member

Some of the stuff I read on this site baffles me.

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I alwsy thought that the green stuff was a just a marketing gimmic by cargill. I didn't know it was a pretreated salt.:blush2:

10. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

no no, you are right, Marketing!

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Don't pay attention to Mark, he baffles all of us.;)

12. Mark Oomkes

Join the Baffled Club, my friend. ;)

Dave, don't you have something to do?

13. wizardsr

Thanks for the responses guys.

I forgot to mention, one of the main goals is decent melting at lower temps, hence the blending of our own product with halite/calcium. On the warmer storms we've been using straight rock salt, but buying clearlane in bulk, and putting it in buckets may end up being cheaper than bagged rock salt, even when the labor to put it in the buckets is accounted for. I guess even if the clearlane works good down to around 5 degrees, we could just use straight calcium below that, but storms with temps under 5 aren't extremely common anyway... Biggest problem with straight calcium, is that the shovel crews are so used to using rock salt, that when it's cold and they switch to straight calcium, they apply it at the same rate, and end up making a total mess. Trying to avoid that, and keep costs down obviously.

Mark, thanks for the PM, I'll look into it. There's alot of bagged product around, but no one wants to tell you whats in the bag, since they dont want you realize how overpriced it is. If I could find a premixed 10% calcium/90% sodium bagged product for a reasonable price, I'd buy it in a heartbeat...

14. Mark Oomkes

Brendan, that product is basically Professional minus the potassium or filler material. ;)

I don't have exact percentages but the price for me is far, far, FAR more competitive with the same or better results than Magic or Caliber Salt.

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll get you my distributor's number and maybe you can work something out.with them if you want to try it.

15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

16. wizardsr

BTW, bulk clearlane here is $80/ton, less than 1/2 the cost of bagged straight salt, if you don't include the buckets (which I already have from mixing product before). Looking like a viable option to save money on sidewalk salt with a product that seems to work pretty well...

17. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

My ton of bulk rock salt costs $89 when picked up at the yard.