1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clearing to the pavement

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kipcom, Feb 26, 2003.

1. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Curious as to how others clear snow in large retail lots. We always clear curb 2 curb and down to the "dark" as we can get. Then de-ice if required. Also what do you do for a loading dock that is full of snow ( like 4 to 5' ) :eek: is it in your contract ? or is it a special needs clause ? Thanks... Kip

2001 Dodge 1500 Boss 7.5 SD

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Loaders with Pushers or Large blades. The pushers were great for an empty lot, the blades were better when cars were still present.

Single axel 6 or 8 yard dump trucks with 10 blades moved some snow. However the bottom line around x-mas time you had to pile in odd spots, and move the snow later at night.

3. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

We clear curb to curb, and scrape as best we can. Also, de ice as necessary. 2 of my stores have small loading docks that we clear for them. ( Normally I would charge for this ) but at the time of the bid, it was an oversight on my problem. I would also use a pusher, and a tandem dump or a tri-ax tractor trailer to remove when needed. Sometimes it is tough to get away from having piles around, especially with the winter we had this year.