1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clearing Sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cet, Jul 31, 2007.

1. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a top notch person looking after 8 locations for me. His job is to clear and spread Clearlane on sidewalks. On a normal 3-4" snowfall this takes 4 to 5 hours.

I am looking for something to make his life easier. Something to clear the walks with. Last year he used a shovel or single stage Toro. We have a 2 stage Toro but it wasn't needed once. We also have a Epoke drop spreader.

I am thinking of a lawn tractor. During the day these places are busy and five of them have elderly people. An ATV would be nice but the speed scares me. If we were to use a blade instead of a blower would we need to push most of the snow into the drive? I am the one to plow but most times I am ahead of him so this is not a good idea. If we used the blower on the tractor we need to keep a close eye out for people and some of these walks are close to cars and flower beds. I would want to throw the snow 5' only.

He is on a generous flat rate for the season and I would not lower his pay for this convenience so I am looking for something inexpensive yet practical. I do cut grass in the summer on large commercial properties. I am running 2 ZD28's with 6' decks. Maybe there is a good 4 season machine I should look at.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What about something like this?

power sweep.jpg
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Would that be much faster then a snowblower? I must admit I have not thought of that.

4. karol

karol Senior Member

I would get another top notch person. That would solve you're problem. Get him a helper.
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That would be great but I think they broke the mould when the made this guy.:realmad:
  6. karol

karol Senior Member

That's awful. Go to the main page on plowsite and click on TURF TEQ. I think the sweeper on the trimmer is not powerfull enough. The walk-behind sweeper will do the job. I think GRAVELY has a same set-up. You can buy different attachments. :dizzy:
  7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Have you considered a blade or a blower for your mowing machines? I'm not sure if a ZD28 is a rider or not. Some people on here think they can be effective at 3-4" of snow others don't.

I run a quad and you can go as slow or as fast as you need to. Price is an issue, unless you want to ride it for fun in the summer/winter. Could he drive the quad from location to location? I put 32 miles on my quad every storm driving around the City hitting the different locations. I have a yellow flasher and a slow moving vehicle triangle on the back of mine. Lets people see me better.

There are also spreaders you can get to mount to the back of the quad and the racks could carry extra product.
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We do a lot of daytime plowing at these locations. It might not be practical to ride from location to location. A ZD28 is a zero turn Kubota. It is very easy to spin the tires on wet grass so I think pushing snow might be asking too much. I have found a used Sears tractor for $1500 or a used Kubota 4x4 for under $5,000. I have a Thomas 25G which is like a Toro Dingo. I could put a blade on that. My concern is there is no float so if you hit a bump and the front goes up then some of the snow will go under the blade. I do like the fact we could put the bucket on and push the piles back. I thought at first I might just use the bucket and see how that goes. The machine is 1500 lbs. so it should have good pushing power.

Thanks for your reply.
  9. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

A Walker would work great
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks Grandview.

Winter Land Man, I have thought about a Walker. I am in the last year of my grass cutting contract. They say the next bid should be out this fall. If it was before winter I would consider getting a Walker.
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We use 2 kubota 2260's with 5ft power angle blades. They also have snow-ex tailgate salters on the rear. The visibility is excellent and much better manoverbility then a ATV.
  13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think that a nice garden tractor like a John Deere X 500 series or a Simplicity Legacy would do great with a blade or blower on them. I've driven the Simplicity before (mowing lawns) and I couldn't stop thinking about how much snow the thing must be able to move. It's huge! Plus they have a 4x4 version.