1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clearing on Christmas Day???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kidder, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Kidder

Kidder Junior Member

First off I want to wish all fellow plowers a merry christmas and to have a great 2010. I have one question and was hoping you guys could help me out. This is my first year having a Bobcat and 5 commercial contracts and where I live we are expected to get about 12 cm or 5 inches of snow finishing sometime near late christmas eve or christmas day. What is the policy that you guys use and what should I charge if I do go out on christmas day. I charge $75 per hour for the Bobcat. Thought and opinions please.

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

You can't upcharge just because its a holiday. If you are 100% sure they aren't open on christmas you could make a few passes for access, spend time with your family, and then make sure they are done by saturday morning. Merry Christmas to you too!

3. baslertrucking

baslertrucking Junior Member

of course all my lots are goverment buildings, and we too are expecting a snow.. and it would be our first push... but with snow on christmas eve and the buildings beings closed on saturday and sunday... looks likes ill miss out again

4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

christmas and new years are treated like any other day. its part of the job. all good snow contractors are 24/7 company, through the holidays.

5. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Last year, we had an event that went through Christmas. So, most of us peeled off before dinner on the 24th, and went back to work 12:00am the 26th, which was enough time to clear our commercial stuff that was not open the 25th. We did have a couple guys that maintained a couple 24/7 buildings throughout the 25th, but most of our sites were not occupied, so it was of little concern.

Just to give another situation.

Merry Christmas!

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

merry christmas, my gift to you is a search button, this post is in commercial snow plowing section

7. Kidder

Kidder Junior Member

All of my properties are apartment blocks, I wish I had other buildings that were closed for the holidays. With having apartment blocks does this change anything.

8. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Only if the residents don't go anywhere all day.

:(

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

LOL, that's where it's at! :whistling:

10. Its all about the contract. If you have it in your contract that you charge extra for Christmas day and New Years etc and the client was made well aware of that then you can upcharge. If your contract does not mention that then you can not. I know of a few companies that have it in their contract that they DONT plow on xmas day or new years day period. I tried that my first year in business and even with it in the contract it didn't go over well when it snows on xmas day. So, as a snow removal company ya should just be like the rest of us and suck it up.

11. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

I have a spot in my contracts to intial if they dont want to be plowed on Christmas. The only ones that want it are my motels, the rest would be hit early the next morning but this all depends on what the the storm brings if it's going to dump on us I'll plow on Christmas. MERRY CHRISTMAS

12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

:nod:
    its a liablity thing.

13. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Like elite1msmith said its all about liability. If it snows xmas day and somebody needs into the office or something that that nature and they fall, its still you @$$ on the line. Most people have the day off, but emergencies do arise, so you gotta stay on top of your game no matter what day of the year it is.