1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clearing code to pass emissions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cfdeng7, Mar 3, 2009.

1. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

I have a 1995 F-350 with the 460 gasser in it. It has an exhaust leak that is throwing the check engine light on via the O2 sensor in the exhaust. I am selling the truck soon and do not want to spend money on a new exhaust (it needs it its like swiss cheese). I have a OB1 code reader but it does not have the clear function. I would like to just clear the 02 bank 2 code to pass emmissions however can not find an affordable scanner. I also have thought about taking the light bulb out from behind the check engine light. Any ideas or links to somewhere where i can buy a relatively cheap OB1 scanner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot guys.

2. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Junior Member

disconnect battery and then reconnect. Code will just reappear though once all sensors have reported. I believe o2 sensors must reach a certain temp to function.

3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Drive it right down the road from the emissions place, stop and disconnect the battery for 30 seconds, then get the emissions done. If you are lucky, it will take long enough to throw the code that you will be on your way home. OBD1 all you have to do is disconnect the battery or take the fuse out for the ecm to reset the codes.

4. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

I assume you cannot shut the truck off after clearign the code? So when I get to the garage and go inside should I let the truck run? and yes the check engine light will not come on untill about 5 min after the engine is at normal opperating temp.

5. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

You still have a warning for 80 miles or so that a code has been triggered. You wont pass emissions with the warning light on. My code reader gives a "orange" emission status after I cleared a code and tells you won't pass emissions. After driving for 120 Km's it changes to green if no codes get triggered.

6. glfredrick

glfredrick Member

I'd say that the only way to really clear that code is with a decent scanner. Find someone with a Snap On unit. They'll handle the job. Most mechanics have something along those lines, and even an Autozone store may be able to handle clearing the code for free with their scanner.

I'm not sure about how long to reset the code -- you know that better than me on your truck.

Oh, and pulling the bulb won't help when they hook up the computer...

7. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

You not only have to free of codes, but the system readiness tests must pass. After you have driven around enough, so that the computer is satisfied that all the conditions have been met, and no codes have been thrown you will pass the test. That is why with cedargrounds scanner, it doesn't get green until he has driven around.

8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Thats it! xysport

9. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

I believe the system readiness requirements vary from State to State. Subarus, practically the State car here in VT, are notorious for having bad O2 sensors and, even worse, catalytic converters, which can cost several hundred bucks to replace. We clear the codes with our scanners and then drive right over to have the car inspected. It will still pass inspection without the readiness being clear.

Having said that, if I was to sell a car to someone after clearing the codes, not sure my conscience would be clear knowing the check engine light will be back on within a week or two.

10. glfredrick

glfredrick Member

Just replace the parts... They don't HAVE to cost hundreds.

There are all sorts of universal cats for sale on eBay that work just fine. Typical cost is under $50. I've used them and they pass VET. O2 sensors are the same. All it takes is a special socket that costs about $15 and a $35 sensor. Go under the truck, screw in a new one and be finished with the problem. These things don't take a dealer to fix. :rolleyes:

11. mustangEd

mustangEd Junior Member

If you don't want to fix the root cause of the problem,
    check summit or jegs for a MIL Eliminator.
    it plugs in at the o2 sensor and tells the computer that
    everything is ok and will not throw a code or light.
    these will not pass a visual inspection.

Ed

12. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

This is really unethical. You're trying to fence damaged goods that cannot legally be driven on the road as fully operational? Shame on you. Do the right thing, fix the problems before you sell the truck or do full disclosure to the buyer that he's going to need to replace the exhaust and some sensors.

You can repair most exhaust leaks pretty inexpensively, unless it on all the joints. I was able to wrap an exhaust leask with a high temp wrap that went on like a plaster cast and then cured with the heat of the exhaust into some sort of an epoxy. Stuff was still there when the rest of the car rotted away.

13. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I think you misunderstood, or at least understood it differently than I did.
    My interpatation was that he needs to pass inspection so he can continue to drive his truck. And since he will be selling it shortly, he doesn't want to dump any money into it.
    I don't think his intent here is to pull the wool over the eyes of someone interested in purchasing his vehicle.

14. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

Its a f350. In New York it would pass because it is a heavy vehicle. Plus the fact it is a 95. NY only checks 96 and newer. Hope this helps. I dont know what CT laws are. My honest opinion is you should fix it.

15. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

I know the O2 sensors aren't a big deal but the mechanics I know have told me to be wary of the universal cats. They said they often fail quickly. Have you had a different experience over time?

16. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i don't believe Autozone's will clear codes. The ones by me (my bro works at one, I service a few) said that it is against the law for the employees to clear the codes unless they're a licensed mechanic I believe. However, you can rent the scanner, clear the code, return the scanner and get your deposit back.

17. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

I bought a scanner from Sears about a year ago and it clears all the codes.

18. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Maybe I was jumping to conclusions. Sorry if this is the case.

At any rate, fix the problems...you'll spend more time and money chasing a kluge fix than just fixing the actual problem.

19. glfredrick

glfredrick Member

Depending on local or state laws that I may know about, there is really no such thing as a licensed mechanic...

There are certified mechanics via the dealership training network or ASE, but I've never seen any states issuing a license for a mechanic to work.

FYI, I've been an ASE certified Master Tech (which means that I've successfully passed tests in a number of individual repair areas like tune up, engine rebuilding, transmission service and rebuilding, etc.) I've also been in the industry in various capacities for over 30 years now, plus I've been a Snap On tool dealer, calling on over 200 shops. I've seen a lot more shops and mechanics than the average bear...

Clearing codes? Just do it. No biggie -- they come right back anyway.

20. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

If there is a reason for the check engine light to come on clearing the codes won't help for inspection. The computer stores all the information and after clearing the code you have to drive it a while for the computer recheck all the systems and until that happens you will fail just for that. The computers talk to each other and they are incapable of lying to each other.payup