1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clearing 90 Driveways - Condo's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Patrick34, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Patrick34

Patrick34 Member

I have a condo complex with 90 driveways. We are not allowed to use truck plows to clear the driveways. Aside from using hand snowblowers, any suggestions?

I am thinking either:

(1) a skid loader with a pull back type snow pusher. With a pull back type snow pusher I would be hopefull you could get fairly close to the garage door, pull back some snow, then turn around and push out the remainder.

(2) a mid-size tractor with a rear mount snow blower. Back up the garage door, then blow snow to the sides of driveways.

Any thoughts on either of these types of equipment set ups?
  2. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

quads with plows??
  3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

well whats the reasoning for not using truck plows on the drives?

my thought might be a pull plow or a toolcat?
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I would think you have to go skid steer route. Use a snow bucket, you can pull, push and stack with it. You may need a small blower or shoveler guy for the area by the garage doors.

Quads with plows if there is no rush:D
  5. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

I used to plow 130 drives with a S250 skid loader and a hiniker C plow. The C plow Worked very well to back drag and push the drives. Although its not built the best, we had to reinforce the chains.(a couple times). I could usually get 130 drives done in around 6hrs, with 3-4inches on the ground. No matter what you use you still going to have to clear a little in front of the garage doors. The Snow bucket sounds like your best bet. There cheap and have to hydro lines to worry about.
  6. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

get a couple tool cats with back blades and front mount blowers on em, then have a truck come through salting
  7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Option #2

You need to look up Neige on here and watch his videos.

I am sure he would be glad to talk to you also.
  8. WIPensFan

And $90,000 later your ready to rock and roll :eek:
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If you were to go with Toolcats I would think one would be enough.
  10. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

We are up to well over 1000 condo driveways.. it may be more then 1200 now.

Last winter we did about 200 with blowers, and 500 (by the end of the winter) with 3 bobcats. The bobcats all started with a normal bucket. We then had two of them get blades. They were fastest with the blades (7 foot), but you still need the bucket sometimes for cleaning up properly.

This year we will have 6 or 7 and be fine. With travel time a bobcat with a decent opp can do 200 in 6 hours. This may be to long for some of you tractor guys with malls, but for townhouses you will rarely get complaints from reasonable people. Crazies will always be crazies.

Try and rent from a company that would never use their bobcat in the winter. Pool, paving, excavating... you will pay anywhere from $600 to 1200 a month from these types, and 1600 to 1800 from a rental company.

You will be fine with just a bucket, but you will have to be careful with scraping. We have had minor issues with asphalt and major rust from interlock. If they are interlock, have a poly blade.

Good luck, 90 driveways may seem like a lot, but once you have a system it goes great.
  11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

What size units are you using ? You do realize that what your paying in rental, you could be buying these units for same dollars/year.
    I've priced it both ways, people think I'm nuts buying equipment to only push snow, but when I started using Bobcats rental was $ 1200/mo with 5-6 month season here, payment ended up at under $ 500/mo, with blade & bucket. When I traded that unit in for the two I now have I got $ 1500 less than I paid for it new (3 years before). I bought 2- 2 year old units, for both payment was under $ 900 x 4 yrs. Bobcats (2) are both paid for, run perfect one has 800 hrs, other about 1500 hrs & are both worth nearly what I paid for them. Same deal with our wheel loader rental was going to be $ 2800/month, my payment is a touch under $ 1500/mo, insurance is $ 900/yr, so for under $2000 more/yr, I own it. When it is paid for it'll have around 1000 hrs. I figure it should be good to make me money for at least another 15 years after being paid off (still will only about have 4K hrs). I only use the equipment for snow.
    When I bought it people though I was nuts, but whats the difference in spending $ 20,000 on a nice used skidsteer that'll last 10-15 yrs that gets used 6 months a year, or 10,000 on a zero turn mower, that'll be shot in 5 years, thats used 6 months a year.
  12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have to agree on buying the equipment. If they can make money renting it to you then you can save money by buying it.

Jon maybe I should buy the skid steers and rent them to you. LOLpayup
  13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The fastest way to clear these driveways would be a rear mount blower. If there is room to blow it. 90 driveways would take less then 3 hours if they are all side by side IMO.
  14. WIPensFan

I wish we knew the layout of this place. If we could look at the site it would quickly determine what to use. Sometimes these places are real tight and curvy not just straight and side by side.
  15. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

I'm thinking of switching to pull plows for all of the driveways that are scattered around town (skid steers for all the condo groups). Anyone used the Snowman pull plow model 70 SC? Thoughts?
  16. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

i've never thought of that that's accually a good idea might have to try that:)
  17. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

The rentals make sense for us. We pay $600 for one and the other two come with their own drivers and cost less then it could cost us to own them. We also are not the best at maintenance. We also have way to much credit, so another $100 000 wouldn't help us any.

A rear blower may be fast, but the problem with townhomes is that there is no where to blow the snow, you have a front lawn smaller then the bed of a truck. A cheap bobcat is also a lot cheaper then a tractor.

By all means Chris, I will take two! I have no work for them in the summer. Just make sure to get the heated cab and 2 speed. :)
  18. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

A tractor with a rear blade would also work. I have found it quicker than a truck with a backplow.
  19. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 Senior Member
    from wooster

skid steer would be the best i bet even with a bucket once you get good at them you can do alot with them pretty fast

when we had our farm we used a skid steer and a tractor

the skid steer was alot faster cause no shifting just move the lever forward and back and side to side to turn fast and simple

the tractor was too big to get in to some areas and it was a smaller type but had to take the time to shift from forward to reverse and then shift the gears and turn around and do it all again

so if you want to get done faster go with the skid steer want to take your time go with a tractor
  20. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

A tractor with a hydrostatic transmission does not have to be shifted. They out shine gear drive tractors in applications such as this where there is a lot of back and forth movement.