1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

clearcoat peeling off

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chevyzrule810, Jun 3, 2013.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2006 chevy silverado 2500HD with 71,000 on it.The clearcoat is all peeling on the hood and is flaking off the fender flares which are the same color as the truck.I am the second owner of the truck and the truck has never had any body work done or been painted.Is that something GM covers?

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Doubt it but I would start with a call to the dealer and a Google search for any paint related recalls. Odds are you'll have to cough up few grand to get it repainted.

3. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

How about posting a picture or two. Not trying to be a smart ass but has it "acid rained" on the truck

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

don't waste your time with dealer....call gm customer service and file a complaint get a complaint number....last time it happened they paid for repaints but only after enough complaints

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

So if I complain enough they will fix it?

6. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

A friend of mine that works at a body shop during the winter months told me that they do a lot of touch up as well as partial & complete paint job's on GM cars and trucks from the early 2000's, my 03 2500HD should've had a paint job a couple of years ago.

7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

You have to keep complaining...They try to wear you out first..

8. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Jeez I should start getting worried about my 06 then...and my 05...and my 04. The 99 though....who cares the body will be gone by next year anyways. Damn salt.

9. vincent

vincent Senior Member

This happened to the hood on my 2008 HD. Second owner also, took it back to the dealership, they wouldn't touch it.

Friend of mine recommended a gmc dealership, so I took it to them, they took pictures and said they would call me back.

2 weeks later, they called and said they would pay half, my part $315. This was even after calling chevrolet.

Take to a smaller dealership.

Oh the selling dealership said, its 4 years old and has 50k miles on it.:dizzy: