1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clearcoat peeling off F-550 hood

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Shade Tree NJ, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

The clearcoat is peeling off of my hood on my 2003 F550 with the 7.3. Curious if anyone else has had this problem and if Ford did anything about it? Searched online but couldnt find anything.

2. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Same thing here I never contacted Fords but I'm going to paint it in the spring!

3. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

def needs to be re-painted but I dont want to foot the bill for it! Sent Fords main office an email last night so just waiting to hear what they say back....although I'm not expecting them to do anything.

4. fran m

fran m Junior Member

Doubt they will do anything, too far out of warranty. You may be able to get Ford to pay for some of the repair, hopefully. They did this for me on my 06 Expedition that had bubbling of the paint on the hood and front edge of the roof. It will help your case if you can find info from others on the net that had the same problem.

Ford is well aware of paint problems.

I have had a MAACO paint job done of my 1998 Honda Accord. This car had a clearcoat problem on the roof. They did a nice job that still looked good after three years. I didn't get the clearcoat done but should have for a few hundred more. They used a single stage paint. If you wind up footing this yourself check with MAACO. Body Shops cannot come close to their price, I did try several first.

This link may provide help.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...gZ3ACQ&usg=AFQjCNG2vTg4GgIKIGcYjnyXN1zPZDdbZw

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Don't have a paint problem, but the silver covering on the front grill of my 2006 F350 has large bubbles in it; noticed them last Spring. Can push them in with my finger, like bubble wrap. It's almost like the silver covering is a stick on label. It hasn't actually broken apart yet though.

6. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Mine is like that too... O6 f250 and the clear is coming off around the taillights and around my bed rail caps.