1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clearance Exteme V SS PLow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by abclawns, Oct 30, 2008.

1. abclawns

abclawns Member

I just had the 8 1/2'' Extreme V SS plow installed on my 2008 chev 2500 HD I was wondering why it wasnt lifting that high maybe 6 inches when straight and almost touching when angled. I noticed that from the frame on the head gear to the a frame there is a triangle shaped plate that limits the lift of the plow. Is this something that is supposed to be removed I would think it is otherwise I have no clearance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

The triangular piece you are talking about it the stop for the plow, I would assume that you are seeing the plow frame touch these when you are lifting the plow correct?

You should have gotten another set of them with you're plow which are the shorter ones. Generally people will swap out to the shorter ones to stack higher, but it sounds like you have something else going on here.

couple questions:

Is the plow frame level when the plow is lowered?

Which hole is the plow frame in on the head gear?

How much slack is there in your chain? It sounds like the installer did not set up the chain correctly and there may be too much slack allowing you to use all the cylinder travel and not lift the plow height enough.

The lift piston should travel 10 inches if I remember correctly from fully retracted to fully extended when the plow is fully raised. Check to see how much travel you have on the lift cylinder.

You should have got a set of directions with the plow that tell you set by step to how to set up the plow correctly. Re-read those if you got them.

here is how the plow looks fully lifted with the longer stacking stops, the plow would lift even higher with the shorter ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. abclawns

abclawns Member

I think you are right on it is the stops keeping it from going up. Im almost positive that the piston is not fully extended I tried to get some of the slack outand see if that would help but couldnt go higher because of the stops. I will put it back on tomorrow in the light and see they very well might of not had it in the right hole. Thank you for such a thorough answer.

4. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

When I talked about the stops though, the plow is actually designed to hit them and stop the plow from going up any further. If they are hitting the stops they I would look to see if the plow is level when flat and the blade is in the straight mode.

The set up instructions from fisher are very good as I mentioned. They are worth the read if your installer saved them for you.

5. abclawns

abclawns Member

I will look into That. I do have the long stops on there right now. Also my pushplates only have one set of holes. So tomorrow afternoon I will look over the instructions and play around abit. Once again thanks for the timly response and great input.

6. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

That is a correct statement, the three holes will be in located in the plow frame and enable the plow to be leveled depending on the height of the truck.

7. abclawns

abclawns Member

Ahh I really do appreciate the help. Let you know what I come up with and Ill take a few pics for you tomorrow.

8. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Better invest in the cast curb shoe setup unless you like spending big money on new edges all the time. You need to put em on before you start plowing so they wear with the new edge. Just a thought.

9. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I see you're point, but I don't do any plowing near curbs, so I figured I wouldn't need them, who knows I might pick up a set.

10. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Doakster kinda off topic but, nice truck and plow, the 7.3PS is the best diesel Ford has had to date, hang onto it!

11. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Couldn't agree with you more...and I'm fortunate enough to have a few other vehicles...so I'm trying to keep the miles off the truck and just have fun with it when I want to.

12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Adjust your lift chain, beef up your front end, check which hole your step pins are in, and put some weight in the back. Thats a big plow for a 3/4 front end.....I hope you dont have the diesel in there too

13. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Fisher eMatch only gives the motor option of the 6.0 V8 which is odd for the 2008 year...but with the 6.0 8.5 extremeV fisher allows the plow regardless of cab configuration on a 2500.

I have however seen many 2500 Duramaxs rolling down the street with an extremeV on them.

Although if you check the eMatch fisher does not allow you to select the duramax as an option from 2003, so one would think that from 03 and on the diesel is too heavy for the front end. But what do I know, I'm a ford guy.

14. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

According to all MFG's web sites my 93' W250 (Cummins) will only handle a 7.5' straight plow :D I just buy what I want and hang it on the truck.

15. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Can't go wrong with that policy.

16. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

That's one good looking Ford, Doakster. How are those tires in the white stuff? (Sorry to get off topic)

17. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

They are great overall in the snow, but I plan on putting some ballast in the rear, maybe 600lbs or so because in 2wd with the plow on, the rear end doesn't have much for traction, or even with the plow off, big surprise right.

Great tires though.

18. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

Go back to your dealer and ask for the short stops. Also on my 3 extemes i have the plows all set in the bottom holes so that they will have the best scraping action and with short stops so i can really stack the snow high in scoop mode.

19. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Long stops come installed already from fisher and the short stops are included in with the plow.

How does you're cutting edge hold up with the method of setting up the plow like you do? The edges can't evenly touch in scoop verses Vee if the plow isn't set up level.

20. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 Senior Member

The plow is level thats the way i have it set up so it will be level.