1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clearance 24 series on a Dakota

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by rpdwyer, Nov 9, 2009.

1. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

Hello List.

Hooked my 24 series up to my 03 Dakota for the first time. Other than working well, the one thing I noticed is the clearance (or lack of it) between the bottom of the plow and the road. Maybe 4" when the plow is raised. Is this normal clearance? With the plow off, the mount has about 8" of clearance from the lowest point. Most of the holes on the mount are not slotted so I don't see room for adjustemnt. Are these clearances normal or am I missing something during the mount install?

Thanks,
    --Rick

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

IIRC the bottom holes of the mount should be somewhere between 10-11 inches.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try a set of timbrens and some ballast or at least some ballast.

4. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

OK, I was going to do both. But is that the normal clearance without timbrens... 4" installed and 8" (from the lowest point on the mount) not installed?

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I know mine was low on my 92 when I installed it probably close to the same 8" you're talking about. IMO in this order, add ballast when the plow is hooked up, crank the torsion bars 3 turns, add Timbrens. That should get you up a little higher and will help with the drop when you raise the plow.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

All good advice.

7. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

Thanks for the info to both you and Basher. Curious on the 3 turns on the torsion bars...how did people decide on 3...not more, not less? When the plow season is over, do you return them to the original position? Finally, I need to get new tires for the truck before the first snow fall. My guess is to do the mods (timbrens and torsion bars) before I get the alignment done...correct?

--Rick

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IF you turn the Tbars three turns get an alignment.

Turning the Tbars will add pre load making the truck ride harsher. you can turn them back down for the summer but you would want another alignment.

9. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

Got it. Thanks.
    --Rick

10. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

Mine are always cranked up ;)

11. festerw

festerw Senior Member

3 turns because it's a good place to start without putting too much wear on front end components and a good balance between weight carrying and ride......that said mine have about 9 turns since I'm running 31's.