1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Clear up lighting issue

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HD61CUIN, Sep 27, 2002.

1. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I have done a search about emergency lighting. I had a discussion at work with a fellow plower. We were talking about when and when to not have our rotators on. I said when the blade was down and you were working an area. He said that he turns his on when he starts the truck to go plowing. Turning them off when he gets back home. I said I could only partially agree with that. I think if visibility conditions during the day or night (traveling not just plowing) if it was an issue where drivers needed to watch for that blade or the fact that you may be traveling slower than them-turn em on. I have looked at the veh code and that was clear as mud.

He got me thinking though, if I am traveling to a job and conditions are bad why not have them on for safety's sake? I do have that hunk on the front people have to watch for?

What do the rest of u think?

2. willtill

willtill Junior Member

You wouldn't believe how bad people drive around here in the Washington DC-Baltimore corridor. :eek: I plan to leave my warning lights on anytime I moving with the plow attached. I need all of the help that I can get (from the auxillary warning devices).

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i usually just have my warning lights on if im at the property im plowing. On occasion, if it is snowing really heavily i will leave them on the whole time just so people know you are there. just an added safety feature. I got the permit, so if you have one, your entitled to leave them on during the storm.

4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't run my emergency lighting except when I'm plowing.
    The exception might be during blizzard like conditions when I think the extra lighting is required. I personnally don't think the warning/emergency lights should be on except when the vehicle is working (plowing), if you look down the main street of my town at about 6 am on a snowy morning, the number of flashing lights looks like downtown New York on 9/11, but a lot of the ligths are on vehicles travelling to or from job sites, and I think these may cause the motoring public to get so used to flashing lights that sometimes they start to ignore the fact that the flashing light is meant to draw their attention to the vehicle displaying it, and use extra caution!
    Just one of my pet peeves!

Billl

5. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Here we don't need permits to have lights on the trucks. Usually we leave them on at night while plowing and transporting. During the day it depeneds on the weather conditions. Theres no laws about have the lights on the trucks. Just as long as they are yellow.

6. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

I leave them on when ever I am on the road plowing. I cant tell you how many times I have had some fool look right at you and then pulls out in front of you thinking you are going to stop for them.:realmad:

Now if it would only get cold and snow

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I put my strobes on when i leave and turn them off when i come back.Better to have more warning power than for some one to say could not see you .

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

On my residential route, I turn on the light when I start and turn it off when I finish the route, otherwise I'd wear the switch out in one event. My municipal truck gets lit when it leaves the Town yard, and turned off when returning so it doesn't cause problems in the yard for the loader operator and other drivers. The only exception is if it's snowing so hard that the light makes a glare.

9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

A long time ago I worked for a junkyard, and sometimes drove a towtruck for them. I was told very specifically, by the boss, that the yellow flashing lights were NOT permitted while towing the vehicle down the road, only while at the side of the road hooking up. One of the drivers claimed to have actually gotten a ticket from a PA state cop for using them improperly. I don't know if this rule is peculiar to PA, or if it's actually true. I still see plenty of towtrucks showing their lights while driving on the road. How this translates to privately owned snowplows here is anybody's guess, but you might want to think about it.

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Here in CT when a car is hooked or on a flatbed than you MUST have amber visible 360 degrees. Same thing with plowing here as far as I know. Light must be on when on the road.

11. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I also keep the strobes going from start to finish.

12. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Anyone else here from the Chicagoland area? If not then I might have to call the Village/Townships that I do work in or pass through and ask them their policy. Anyone here know who is the best person to talk to at the PD? I dont want someone at the desk saying its ok then get a ticket from Mr. Policeman